We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how's the weather?

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plattsmouth...
reviews: 23
how's the weather?

I am coming to Tybee Island tomorrow with my parents and my sisters (all adults). I am so excited!

Are all restaurants open? Or do some close for fall\winter?

Where should we eat our first meal?

And most importantly, how is the weather right now?

This will be my sisters and my first visit.

Thanks for your help

Clearwater
reviews: 53
1. Re: how's the weather?

The weather should be perfect, upper 70s to low 80s.

For a sit down dinner, go to AJ's and sit outside or to North Beach Grill and sit outside.

Most things are still open, last weekend was the pirate festival which is really the last summer hurrah but as nice as the weather is, people are still coming so places stay open.

Be sure to try Burton's by the beach. The little yellow building across from the Arbys. You will be glad you did.

Nice thing this time of year is a walk on the beach around 6 in the evening, few people, sun going down, carry a drink as long as it is in plastic, that's the life!

Plattsmouth...
2. Re: how's the weather?

Thanks Brian! Sounds great!

Plattsmouth...
3. Re: how's the weather?

We tried to go to AJ's when we arrived for lunch but they didn't open until 4. We will try to make it back for dinner 1 night.

We are loving Tybee so far, we walked about 3 blocks to the beach. I filled a tervis with some white wine for my mom. The beach was not crowded in this area and the water temps felt pretty nice. Sorry I have no idea what part of the island we're on.

Our rental house is SO cute.

We had lunch at Sundae Cafe. We tried the fried green tomato blt, the crab cake sandwich and fish tacos. Our bill for 5 adults with non alcoholic drinks was $58. Our server was so friendly and helpful (a guy with a ponytail).

Tonight we ate at AJ. I can't tell you everthing we had, 3 appetizers, 3 entrees (or so) and 4 non alcoholic drinks and I begged my dad to try the watermelon margaritas. He did and man, oh man were they good. Our bill was $101. We had a great service here too (I'm noticing a pattern). We're planning on taking a boat ride one day and renting one of those cute carts that we've seen driving around the island. Other than we just plan on relaxing and waiting to get hungry again.

One other thing, we bought these cute things at the liquor store called Buzz Balls. We couldn't resist because they're so cute. Don't let them fool you, they will knock your socks off. They are pretty nasty but we drank them anyway.

We are having a great time and thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
4. Re: how's the weather?

So glad you are having a nice time. I just saw those buzz balls the other day but couldn't bring myself to try them.

Plattsmouth...
5. Re: how's the weather?

Brian, the owner of Burton's said thank you for the recommendation. He was such a nice hospitable guy, we really enjoyed our meal there. The fresh squeezed lemonade was to die for too!

Tonight we ate at the Crab Shack and I have to say that is one of the best restaurant atmospheres I've ever seen. The little lights in the trees and all the decks. The food could have been terrible and I probably would go back but it was great. Our bill for 5 people with three alcoholic drinks was $111. We had 3 crab and shrimp dinners, one bbq chicken, and one pulled pork dinner.

Today we went to the beach and played in the water. It was a little chilly.

Tomorrow we are going to Savannah for a trolley tour and to Paula Deen's restaurant. Yes, we're tourists.

Alpena, Michigan
reviews: 78
6. Re: how's the weather?

very nice to hear such positive comments about Tybee. We just love being there every year and it's great to see other people enjoying it, and telling everyone, abou it.

Thanks for what all you've said so far

Plattsmouth...
7. Re: how's the weather?

Thanks lewbar! We don't want it to end but unfortunately this is our last day here.

We are renting a house here for my parent's 50th anniversary so Tybee will hold a special place in our hearts indeed.

Yesterday my sister and I got up very early for our early morning beach stroll. This time we went north instead of south and also got some good photos of the sunrise.

After our walk, we went to Sunrise Cafe for breakfast. They have good, basic breakfast for reasonable prices. One thing I have to note is how reasonable prices are on everything, restaurants, groceries, etc. I thought that with this area being a tourist attraction that prices would be out of this world but they're not at all.

After breakfast, my sister, my mom and I decided we would go visit some of the Tybee yard sales. We visited the Fish Gallery and the stores around there. We really enjoyed the Fish Gallery and it's quirky artist.

My dad had decided that he wasn't going to spend his vacation awaking at the crack of dawn so after our shopping adventure, we went to the house and picked him up for lunch at Gerald's Pig and BBQ.

We had a great inexpensive lunch with piles of food for $35 for 5 people. This included his awesome homemade limeade which he made right in front of us. We had brisket and pulled pork sandwiches, a shrimp po boy, 2 orders of french fries, coleslaw, baked beans and out-of-this-world jalapeno hush puppies. Of course, we have all had hush puppies before but these were amazing. My mom stated that she would like to eat them every day. I wonder if Gerald ships them to Nebraska?

After lunch we went to Seaside sweets for delicious gelato. My sister Denise and I couldn't decide which to choose so we had to try two flavors. I had the white chocolate raspberry and

Plattsmouth...
8. Re: how's the weather?

Sorry I had trouble operating my phone. I will finish this post later, it's time for our morning beach walk.

Plattsmouth...
9. Re: how's the weather?

We really enjoyed our time on Tybee, so many wonderful memories with my family that doesn't normally get to spend enough time together.

On a side note, I loved the deli at IGA. You could go choose from a huge selection of Boar's Head meats and cheeses and have them make you a sandwich with anything you want on it. I bought a huge sandwich with a bottle of soda and two bananas for $6.71. What a bargain!

We also spent a day in Savannah and did the Old Town Trolley tour. We had a great guide (Cheri) and felt it was a bargain at $15. You can get off it at any time and walk around then catch the next trolley. It is a great way to see Savannah and it's history when you only have a short time.

We had lunch at Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's) and it was okay for a buffet. The fried chicken was the best I've ever had.

We also got to see many dolphins with Captain Mike's dolphin tours. I had seen an ad for this company and noticed that they took an interest in caring for and neutering the local, feral cats. This is the kind of business I like to support.

We really enjoyed our trip to Tybee and I hope to visit again. Southern hospitality is not a myth. The people we encountered seemed so kind and genuine. I felt very welcome every where we went.

Macon, Missouri...
10. Re: how's the weather?

Heather, thanks for the trip report. My wife and I are coming to the island on the 26th of this month for her 50th birthday to stay a week and you gave me some good suggestions on where to eat and things to do. We are really looking forward to the trip driving down from Missouri, I hope the weather stays nice.

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island