We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fossil Hunting?

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Becker, Minnesota
reviews: 2
Fossil Hunting?

My family and I will be visiting Tybee Island in mid-October. I have read on some of the charter tour websites about "fossil hunting" When I called to book, they said it is on the banks of the Savannah River near the shipping piers and needs to be done at low tide. Well, we are unable to do the charter at a good time for fossil hunting, and am wondering if it is something we can go do ourselves. Anyone familiar with this??

Boston
reviews: 24
1. Re: Fossil Hunting?

Been lots of times, never heard of it. I don't recall any shipping piers on Tybee anyway, only in the Historic District and you can't go anywhere near the water there as its all walled canals for the big boats. I'd be curious to see what the locals say!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
2. Re: Fossil Hunting?

There is a fossil hunting trip by someone at Tybee. They typically go to the spoil islands along the Savannah River to hunt fossils. To get to these islands you need a boat and low tide is best. The area you will be at is made up of the dredge mud and sand from the river channel that is pumped up there.

On Tybee you can at times find sharks teeth but they are tiny and since the beechs get new sand pumped on them every few years the hunting is really poor.

3. Re: Fossil Hunting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:59 pm, April 30, 2013
Tybee Island...
4. Re: Fossil Hunting?

You can find shark's teeth on the north end, park near the North beach Grill. Once on the beach look for the blackest objects, tiny and triangular with a glint. You will mostly find tiny ones but you never know. We go up the river and find the big ones. October is a great time of year. www.sundialcharters.com Check out some of our finds, and information. Perhaps your schedule will allow this next time. Rene

5. Re: Fossil Hunting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island