We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tybee

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maitland, Florida
reviews: 13
Day trip to Tybee

My husband and I are planning a day trip to Tybee while in route to Virginia. We'll have our bicycles, and want to know where to park. Would like to spend some time riding on the beach and seeing a bit of the island. Also recommendations for lunch and dinner would be great. We're in our late 50's, and love being outside.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
1. Re: Day trip to Tybee

If I were you, this is what I would do:

I would park at the little city playground on Van Horne, just off Campbell. You do not have to pay there and with bikes you can be at the Lighthouse or the beach in a few minutes. When you get onto Tybee, at the first light, take a left about 2-3 blocks you will be at at "T", turn right and the park will be almost immediately on your left.

Take a ride down Butler, the main drag, to the south end, explore a little and have lunch at Burtons on the beach. Then ride up the beach back to the north end, do some exploring, maybe climb the lighthouse, then dinner at North Beach Grill. You will be a 5 minute ride from your car, sun burnt and happy!

Check the tides, you may need to ride the beach south then go back north on Butler. It is much easier to ride the beach when the tide is out some. Here is a tide chart:

ezfshn.com/tides/usa/georgia/tybee%20light

Boston
reviews: 24
2. Re: Day trip to Tybee

If you do have to park other than the at the playground, be sure to bring a ton of quarters as the meter maids are pretty ferocious. This is true all over this tiny, wonderful island so avoid the ticket and quarter-up! You will love riding on the beach as long as your bikes aren't racing bikes with super thin tires.

Maitland, Florida
3. Re: Day trip to Tybee

Very helpful. Thank you for the information and the tides table. We bike in Florida on the beach quite often, and we have to be careful of the tides. This is our first visit to a Georgia beach, so we're looking forward to the visit.

Maitland, Florida
4. Re: Day trip to Tybee

Thanks for that tip. We'll hope for a spot to park at the playground, but we'll bring quarters just in case!

5. Re: Day trip to Tybee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island