We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North beach in June

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boaz, Ky
reviews: 6
North beach in June

We will be visiting Tybee in a couple of week and are staying in a house on the north end, near the lighthouse. I am wondering what the beach is like at this end. Will it be very crowded? Is it a nice beach area? Also we are traveling with extended family (14 total), will it be difficult to get into restaurants with that big of a group, or will local restaurants take reservations for larger parties? Thanks!

Boston
reviews: 25
1. Re: North beach in June

The beach looks OK but its more of an extension of the River rather than the open ocean if I'm not mistaken. I would say once you see a restaurant you like, call ahead to see if you need a reservation. You are coming onto summer season and on the North beach side I think there is pretty much only the North Beach Grille which can easily fit your group but I think I've seen people ask about reservations. Better to be "safe" than waiting. I don't think you will see huge crowds as you are not near the Pavilion or the shops or bars so my guess is that you won't feel crowded.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
2. Re: North beach in June

The actual north end of the island is on the river. The north end of the east side of the island is a nice beach, less crowded than the south end a little steeper but nice. There is a big parking lot between the lighthouse and the beach that has 3 dune cross overs to get to the beach.

Macelwees is also a good restaurant on that end and Gerald's pig and shrimp is outdoors but good food.

There is a nice little city owned playground with swings, slides etc and a field for frisbee or softball. it is on Van Horn, near campbell.

I would call ahead anywhere you go, it can't hurt and will usually save you some waiting time.

Hampton, Georgia
reviews: 15
3. Re: North beach in June

We are here now, total of 8 in our group, staying in a townhouse several blocks from the Lighthouse. This is only our 2nd day, but when we've been out the beach has not been crowded, but we can see that further south there is much more of a crowd. Lots of shells. Our first night here we ate at the Crab Shack, and were seated in less than 15 min. even though they told us it may be 35.

Washington DC
reviews: 8
4. Re: North beach in June

Love the Crab Shack. Also try Sundae's Cafe - excellent. I've seen them accomodate a large group, but reservations are necessary.

Boaz, Ky
reviews: 6
5. Re: North beach in June

Thank you all for the information, only a few more days!!!!

6. Re: North beach in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 pm, June 21, 2013