We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 7
May

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Tybee next month and I've heard its just a small, quiet beach town...which is what I want, but on the other hand I've heard about something called Orange Crush weekend that apparently turns the island into a dirty madhouse. We really just want to come to the beach and relax and not deal with a bunch of drunk college kids (no offense)

Can anyone tell me exactly when that weekend is and if May 12-17 is a good time to visit the beach...?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 7
11. Re: May

Thank you all for the help. I really have a better idea of what the island is like and can't wait to go. The last thing I'm having a hard time on deciding is where to stay. Every hotel I look at has two kinds of reviewers. Ones that love it and have almost too good to be true attitudes and ones that absolutely hate the place and have me convinced my soul will be sucked out if I stay there. Anybody know of a good hotel I can truly trust?

Edited: 11:30 pm, April 28, 2012
Malden...
reviews: 25
12. Re: May

I am looking at hotels right now too! Can't decide! Howard Johnson, Ocean Breeze, DeSoto.... none of them really jump out as being great. Seems like a bunch of mediocre beach hotels and that you stay at them for the location.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 128
13. Re: May

Have stayed at Ocean Plaza and the Desoto and the Days Inn. You are right, they are all average at best. Have you thought about renting a house? We do that and we rent as well. If it is not serving me room service...do you really need a hotel? jmho. We have an opening this weekend if interested, if not you will see me there.

Alpena, Michigan
reviews: 73
14. Re: May

If you want to be close to the beach, pier and pavilion, check out Tybrisa Resort (www.tybrisa.com) as they have all 2 bdrm., 2 bath, full kitchen, pool etc. all in a very secured setting right across from the pier.

Boston
15. Re: May

HI, Just back from our latest stay on Tybee Island, luckily on the tail end of the Horrible Orange Crush thing. What a joke. Far cry from yesterday when families of all kinds were enjoying the gorgeous beach and not a speck of litter anywhere.

You will LOVE Tybee. Now to the hotel issue- there really aren't any "hotels" on Tybee, they are motels. I stayed at the Desoto for about two weeks in January while I was in Sav for work and it was a very decent Motel- many years ago they were a true hotel but not anymore. If you are on a very tight budget, I can vouch for Desoto. Also Dunes Inn was clean and we had a big room-stayed there twice a couple of years ago. There is one Inn called the 1700 Inn or something- a B&B- have you given that any thought? How about renting a cottage for the visit? Many can be rented for less money than some of the motels using a seasonal day rate. Lewbar suggests the condos which is also a great idea. Friends of ours rented a huge one at the Brass Rail condo complex and the place was really great.

Weather wise and everything else, you will love your visit!

Malden...
16. Re: May

Thanks for the message about vacation rentals. I'm surprised they're just as cheap and cheaper than these "motels"!!

This is what I'm looking at... www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p942018

Do I have anything to worry about if i just go for it?

Malden...
17. Re: May

What about exactly where to stay on Tybee? And advice or differences? How walkable is the island?

18. Re: May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 pm, June 19, 2013