We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 7
May

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Tybee next month and I've heard its just a small, quiet beach town...which is what I want, but on the other hand I've heard about something called Orange Crush weekend that apparently turns the island into a dirty madhouse. We really just want to come to the beach and relax and not deal with a bunch of drunk college kids (no offense)

Can anyone tell me exactly when that weekend is and if May 12-17 is a good time to visit the beach...?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
1. Re: May

It is my understanding that orange crush weekend is very unorganized and sort of happens, on several weekends. The last few years it has been much less an event than in years past.

It has been spring break here the last few weeks and there are drunk 20 year olds everywhere. The only difference with orange crush is that the kids are mostly black because it is a Savannah State University happening and Sav State is a predominately black school. Also being a local school, they get a major turnout.

This time of year the weekends are very busy. Just plan on staying on the island and don't drive on Saturday and Sunday, orange crush or no.

Lexington, Kentucky
2. Re: May

Thank you so much for your reply. I understand drunk 20 year olds is something I probably won't be able to avoid. I just want to avoid the masses if at all possible. Needless to say I'm not like people my own age. I don't really party and being around it all the time gets tiring.

I'm always interested in getting an insiders opinion about things I should do/avoid on the island & in Savannah as well. I've done some research myself, but there's not much that can be found.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
3. Re: May

I did some checking and could not find a date for the Orange Crush this year. It is usually the first weekend in May but that can change at anytime. The first couple of orange Crush events where put on by Savannah State U. as an end of year event. With the amount of outsiders coming in the SSU pulled out. Now it is an official event which "just happens". The word of mouth as to when it happens and some years it happens twice. When the word gets out the local police will usually add a lot of extra police for the weekend. This has helped keep the crowds smaller each year. Also it seems that the crowds stay near where there is the most public parking. The pier area is one.

Which i new the date. If I hear anything I will post it.

Lexington, Kentucky
4. Re: May

Thank you so much for your help. I actually searched on google for a date and I found a facebook page that states that it will happen in April whether this is true or not I'm not sure. One can hope I guess.

www.facebook.com/events/295998060441701/

Just curious...Anything I should not miss while I'm there?

oh and how is the shelling?

Sorry about all the questions. I just don't really get many opportunities to go on vacation and I want to make the most of it. :)

Clearwater
reviews: 53
5. Re: May

If you have an interest in history, spend a few hours at Ft Pulaski national park. It is about 5 minutes from the island on the way into Savannah.

The shelling is not great, you will find some nice ones but they are few and far between.

The questions are why we are here, it is not a problem.

6. Re: May

Just thought that I would add that Orange Crush was this past weekend (April 20-22) and is now over. Also, it is a locally "run" event unofficially hosted by the local radio stations but because of bad publicity no one likes to own up to its "organization" (or lack thereof) Savannah State University has no affiliations with the events happening, outside of our students who attend....and while you're here be sure to visit Skidaway Island, the Air Museum, as well as the Jepson Museums located downtown! There are lots of good eats here too! Safe travels! -----Savannah Native ;-)

Savannah, Georgia...
reviews: 1
7. Re: May

I just saw a posting on Facebook of a You Tube video that showed the mess on the beach this weekend. (April 20-21).

Castro Valley...
8. Re: May

your safe. Orange crush was yesterday. And "dirty madhouse" doesnt do it justice.

May will be perfect at the beach. Enjoy your honeymoon.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 128
9. Re: May

Orange crush Is over and may is a wonderful time to visit we live there part time and may is our favorite month as is oct go to north beach and south beach and the inlet where u see tons of dolphins but keep away from main beach too crowded hth

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
10. Re: May

Orange Crush happened last weekend. The beach looked like a dump Sunday morning. Do a search for WTOC TV and orange crush to see the outcome.

Come on down because the season is getting started and the weather is great.