We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about family holiday in July.

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
reviews: 60
Questions about family holiday in July.

Hi there, we will be in Tybee for a few nights in July with our 3 kids staying at Lovell Ave. Is this an good location for kids (they are 15, 12 and 8)? What kinds of things (restaurants/icecream/groceries?) will we find within walking distance and what is the beach like in this area? We are really just wanting to blob on the beach, relax, visit the lighthouse and fort and not looking for huge excitement , but are we likely to see dolphins at this time of year? Thanks for your help.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
1. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

Lovell Ave runs parallel to the beach, the full length of the island, about 2 blocks inland. Do you have an address? That will give us an idea of where you will be so we can answer your questions.

There is always a chance of seeing dolphins in the summer. There are a couple dolphin boat tours that leave from the island, if you want a good closeup look at them, maybe take a tour.

NZ
2. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

Thaqnks Brian. 1307 Lovell Ave - it's called Little Fish cottage.

Clearwater
3. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

That is a pretty good location, a bit of a walk to the beach, maybe 2 long blocks. You may want to bring a cart or wagon for chairs and stuff.

You are 3 blocks or so from 16th st. aka Tybrisa, that is where the pier is and lots of little shops, restaurants and bars.

You will probably want to drive to the lighthouse unless you are all big walkers but the beach, food, etc are easy walking distance.

Boston
reviews: 24
4. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

Yup, decent location, you should love Tybee based on what you want. Best bet for groceries is to fill up at the Publix on the highway, Rt 80 in a big strip mall on your way there. Otherwise, there is a small, very pricey IPA on the island. Several family oriented restaurants and some adult oriented beer pubs. Couple of ice cream places with several tourist souvenier shops next to them. The Pavilion/pier is awesome, I bet the kids love that! The beach is long and very wide, clean sand , no pets allowed so no poop. You can rent fat tire bikes and ride on the beach which is fun too and theres a small marine museum the kids might like which educates people about the sea turtle populations also.

NZ
5. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

It sounds just perfect. I can't wait. We won't be bringing beach carts as we're coming from New Zealand - so I'm guessing that would take us over our baggage limit ;)!! Nevermind, if the house we are renting doesn't have one, we'll sit on towels on the sand as we do at home. We will have a car and renting bikes sounds like a great thing to do. Would it be a pretty easy bike ride to the lighthouse for an 8 year old? I think Tybee will be perfect for our family and I've no doubt we'll be wishing we could stay longer. Thank you so much for your helpful replies :)

Edited: 2:15 am, April 02, 2012
Clearwater
6. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

It is a reasonable ride, especially if you take the back roads, aka, Lovell and Jones.

There is also a nice little playground not far from the lighthouse, swings, slides, etc. My grandson loves it.

It can be confusing on the north end of the island. Be sure to have a little map with you. If you get lost, you will never be more than a block or two from where you meant to be!

7. Re: Questions about family holiday in July.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island