We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island for summer 2013

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Griffin, Georgia
Tybee Island for summer 2013

I am trying to put together a family vacation at the beach for the summer of 2013 for possibly max of 16 people with only 1 middle school age person the rest are in the 20's, 30's and 50's. We are thinking of something in the Tybee Island area. Does anyone have any suggestions for renting a vacation home? Thanks!

Clearwater
reviews: 53
1. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

There are lots of nice big houses here for vacation rental.

Try these sites

http://oceanfrontcottage.com/on-tybee/

http://www.tybeevacationrentals.com/

http://www.tybeevacationrentals.com/

If you want the quiet beach be on the north side, if you want the bars and stuff, be on the south end.

Atlanta, Georgia
2. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

I would find another beach community. Tybee Island is congested, run down and attracts a loud, raucous, red neck crowd. The beach and small waves aren't all that great there. I went on a family vacation here last summer and was disappointed in the beach town. It's nothing like Savannah. Personally, I would pay a little more and go to Hilton Head Island.

3. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, May 28, 2012
Savannah
reviews: 7
4. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

Call Sandys by the Shore we stayed in a 5bedroom house they have that is 1 house back from the beach it was an older beach house but we had a great time it has large decks

Washington DC
reviews: 8
5. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

try tybeecottages.com or mermaidcottages.com

Boston
reviews: 24
6. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

I disagree with Tim Oliver. I am no redneck but a Yankee (gasp!) from uppidty Boston and think Tybee is great. I am glad it isn't like pretentious, overpriced Hilton Head- we took a day trip there and left after about 2 hours. The beach at Tybee is wide and very walkable, the kids and adults can bike all over and there are several small but perfectly acceptable places to eat plus a few stellar dining spots too. Its pretty family oriented but adults can kick back and have flip-flop, old teeshirt kind of fun too.

Atlanta, Georgia
7. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

Yea, right! It's family oriented if you don't mind drunk rednecks with tattoos and missing teeth fighting and swearing in front of your children. I found out after I stayed there that they don't call it the "redneck riviera" for nothing.

If you do your homework, Hilton Head is not overpriced when you compare the two beach towns and what all each location has to offer.

If you enjoy Tybee Island, keep going back!!!

Crawford, Colorado
reviews: 1
8. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

I am preparing for my first trip to Tybee, and the more posts I read about there being nothing to do the more happy I am. I want to relax, not be entertained. That's a vacation for me! And the group I am traveling with knows how to have fun no matter what!!

Cumming, GA
reviews: 13
9. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

Don't go to Hilton Head if you want to avoid rednecks. They've found their way there too, LOL. The worst are the public beaches in Hilton Head. Beer-bellied, tattooed, kids wearing nothing but diapers, kind of crowd. Gross. Just be content in Old Savannah. At least it's shaded with beautiful trees and too expensive for rednecks to stay in the historic district. I used to enjoy HHI. Not anymore unless it's off season during the Christmas holidays. That's when we rent a nice on the beach condo and enjoy our peace and quiet for a nice long week. Ahhh...

Tybee Island...
10. Re: Tybee Island for summer 2013

Big Mistake to listen to this review. I am a professor from MA and I and my husband have now come to Tybee Island for the last 3 years. This year we bought a cottage here. Rednecks? If you mean some normal Southern low country people, I suppose. But, as a born and bred Yankee, the people here are like those I grew up with but with different accents. The beach is as beautiful as any in the United States. We have been here in August, March, and June and we have never found it to be so over crowded as to make us uncomfortable. No, it's not Hilton Head, Wild Dunes or any of that ilk. It is small town Americana on a beach. We looked for a place just like this for a long time and are very happy to have found it. This is a beach community -- not a resort. One thing to think about -- there is not that much to do for today's easily bored children. The under 6 set can be kept busy on the beach, but there are no amusement parks, putt-putts, etc. here. Teenagers can kayak, bike ride, walk the beach, but they might get bored also. My 20 something year old daughter came down with a girl frience and it happended to be beach volleyball tournaments so they had a great time. Before you plan your trip check the events as they happen year round and are great fun.

Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island