We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's so great about Tybee Island?

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grants Pass, Oregon
reviews: 5
What's so great about Tybee Island?

I'm a Pacific coast gal, and my Florida friend wants our gang to gather on Tybee Island. Is it worth the airfare? What will we see? What should we do?

Boston
reviews: 25
1. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

It depends on what you need like any place. What's great to me might not be to you but in case it is- its a great island if you:

1) like to do long walks on very wide, clean beaches

2) you like funky little bars to grab a cold beer or hang out with the locals at night to party a little bit

3) you like sipping coffee in the early morning while strolling the long pavilion/pier over the water

4) you like decent meals at a variety of small, mostly medium priced restaurants and cafes

5) you appreciate local efforts to preserve the environment including turtle nesting areas

6) you want to ride a fat tire bike on the beach

7) you like to kayak

So if that's what you like to do you will like it. There is no gambling, the shopping is about 90% tourist junk (with the exception of Seaside Sisters approaching Butler Ave) and there isn't much of it, and you won't find big glitzy anything. But if terms like laid-back mean something to you, this is the island for you.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
2. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

If you are interested in history, Savannah is 25 minutes away. It was founded in 1733 and is full of history. People come from all over the world to visit Savannah. It is a unique city, full of squares, which are beautiful little parks, with monuments, fountains and historical markers.

Between Tybee and Savannah is Ft Pulaski National Monument, a beautiful, huge, brick fort built before the civil war. It has beer restored and you can walk all through and around it.

Edited: 8:00 am, March 18, 2012
Delray Beach...
reviews: 78
3. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

I would take Savannah over Tybee Island any day!

Just returned from Tybee where my wife and I did not enjoy one moment. We rented a house through Tybee Island Vacation rentals which was terrible. We complained, got our money back and left after 2 days, Savannh we stayed in 9 months ago and it was brilliant! Come even further south to Delray Beach which is excellent. Nice beaches, shops restaurants, golf course etc etc....Say no to Tybee!

Grants Pass, Oregon
reviews: 5
4. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

How did you know all those things about me? Sounds like a great place :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
5. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

I visited Tybee Island once and will never return. I found out after my visit that it's called the "redneck riviera". It's the pits as far as southern beaches go. If you haven't already visited, I would suggest you visit, Hilton Head or Destin, Florida instead.

Clearwater
reviews: 53
6. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

In my opinion, Destin is like a plastic beach. The people and the architecture are all trying to be something they are not, it feels like Disney World but without admitting it is a fantasy.

Tybee has its faults but it is real people in a real community that has developed and changed over hundreds of years, no plastic.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
7. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

Tybee is a fun beach to visit. I agree Destin is way over built and too busy. The fun thing about Tybee is your are a short drive from Savannah one of America's great ciites and only a few hours from another great American city at Charleston. And Beaufort is in between. I love the CA coast but you will enjoy the E coast as well.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
8. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

I like Tybee, but I'm not sure I'd fly all the way across the country to get there. In fact, I haven't bothered to drive halfway across this state to go in probably 8 years. It all depends on what you're looking for. It's simple, relaxed, no frills. You might also consider the islands off of Charleston like Edisto, or the other islands of Georgia - Jekyll Island, Sea Island, St Simon's, Cumberland or Amelia Island in FL.

9. Re: What's so great about Tybee Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tybee Island