We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Police- give me a break!

Which Tybee Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Georgia
reviews: 52
Tybee Police- give me a break!

Not sure where I should post this but I thought I'd start here since I'm an avid TA user. Maybe you Tybee experts can pass this along to your local law enforcement. Seems like I've read other posts here regarding similar incidences. Let me start by saying that the short time I spent in Tybee I found it to be a nice place that I had planned to return to all weekend for the Pirate Festival.

We attended the Pirate Festival this past Friday and bought the pass for Saturday to return for the parade. The festival was great! We had our 5 year old daughter with us and everyone was so good with her and they had a special area just for kids, which was great! A1A was good. Unfortunately we had to leave during their performance because our daughter was tired from our day of traveling.

Also have to say AJs was a great place to go for dinner with a good beachy atmosphere. I went there based on posts from this site.

Now to the negative that made me not go back for the weekend we had planned. We were leaving the festival after paying 20.00 to park in someone's driveway so we could make sure not to get a ticket because I've heard it's really easy to get a ticket there. We had not gone probably two blocks when we were pulled over by a policeman who told us that we ran a stop sign. This wasn't true first of all but we didn't argue to point. It was 8:30 at night and our daughter was in the back seat so we just told him basically "ok we're sorry." Then he kept on about our vehicle registration because I had the wrong tag receipt with me. I did have a current insurance card and our vehicle was just registered in July when we purchased it. He said he wouldn't give us a ticket but we need to watch the registration and proceeded to give us a longer lecture. Doing this after we could hear on his radio that he checked my husband's license and everything came back fine with our registration and insurance. I asked him wouldn't he be able to tell on his system if we hadn't registered the car or didn't have insurance? He responded yes if it was registered through the state like it should be (and it was). So we are getting a long lecture and being hassled for nothing? He said he didn't give us a ticket because my husband has CDL license but that whole incident made us not return to Tybee the rest of the weekend. So our tourism dollars were lost for the weekend! I know there were plenty of other people there. But I will probably never go back there because of this. It seemed like the police are just looking to give the tourists a hard time. It is a shame too, because it really is a neat area.

Just my two cents worth. Don't know what reaction this post with receive but I wanted to share because it was frustrating and the initial purpose for our visit to the area.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 76
11. Re: Tybee Police- give me a break!

I dont think we even seen a cop on Tybee when we went in July. I was a little worried staying in GA because I have NC plates and an obvious NY accent LOL! We had a great time with no run- ins with the local or state law enforcement. I hope we dont run into problems the next time we go to Tybee.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
reviews: 5
12. Re: Tybee Police- give me a break!

Thanks Pchack. Like I always tell my son if you play by the rules you will have no problems.

I for one had problems with the old meters and forgetting to go and feed them. With the new meters you pay for however long and don't worry.

atlanta, ga
reviews: 11
13. Re: Tybee Police- give me a break!

I had 2 drinks at a local establishment but because I don't often drink, I didn't anticipate the interaction with my new medication. I had the receipt on me. The hotel that allegedly overserved me called the local Barney Fifes who arrested me for sitting outside the hotel with bruises (also a medical issue) although Georgia law absolutely forbids arresting someone on a misdemeanor if the officer didn't witness the alleged behavior. I asked for my attorney and the two male officers told me they could hold me incognito for over a month until the court date. They didn't let me out until I had a life-threatening asthma attack and EMS were called; then, they had me post bond that was twice the maximum fine for the misdemeanor (if I'd committed it and if the arrest had been legal). The officer falsified the report and tried putting in information he claimed (falsely) that I gave him although I wasn't Mirandized. My Savannah attorney told me not to try to fight it criminally because the judge is as corrupt as the cops. Instead, I'm filing a request for reimbursement and if (when) that fails, I have the ACLU on tap for the illegal arrest and a good NEW YORK attorney ready to take them on for the illegality. PM me if anyone wants to make it a class action - it seems more than clear that this is, as my attorney said, just a money-making machine and not a justice system.

atlanta, ga
reviews: 11
14. Re: Tybee Police- give me a break!

John144, I'm usually with you but in this case I played by the rules and the cops did something patently illegal. They arrested me for a misdemeanor I didn't commit, based on the word of hotel staff (on a floor I didn't visit) despite Georgia law that requires the officer to witness the misdemeanor behavior. After denying access to an attorney they delayed medical attention for a problem they caused, endangering my life (my blood pressure spiked from 110/70 to 190/120, which is within stroke range). My background is in fraud investigation and prosecution and on the whole I'm on the side of law enforcement but that's not what the Tybee Island touring company of Deliverance is dishing out. It is lawsuit time for mine and I never thought I'd be the person doing that - I have the highest possible respect for the REAL, honest law enforcement professionals with whom I often work. These guys are a bunch of backwoods Al Capones with more than the usual level of attraction to their equally unhygiegenic first cousins. Gross, disgusting, and definitely not worth the hassle. Drive south an hour and you can go to St Simons, with really good hotels and a cracking golf course, or to Jekyll island which is 3/4 nature preserve and has really good historic houses and a turtle sanctuary. TI is run down, corrupt and has a lousy, overcrowded beach. Screw it.

Edited: 9:56 pm, December 04, 2011
Rome, Georgia
reviews: 52
15. Re: Tybee Police- give me a break!

It has been interesting to read the experiences of others on this thread. I thought there would be someone other than our family who was bullied by the police in Tybee for no reason! This just confirmed my suspicions and my plan to never return! I agree with the last post. There are just too many good areas close by that won't hassle families trying to visit. I did enjoy Savannah though, but I will pick another beach area when I go back.

16. Re: Tybee Police- give me a break!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 06, 2012