We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When and how to book

Nj
reviews: 26
When and how to book

When is it a good time to book a safari for August 2014? I was also wondering if the best way to book it is through a lodge directly or better with a safari operator? I am on a budget for 2 ppl of approx. 1,200 USD for a 3 day safari with 2-3 in the Serenegeti and 1 in Ngorongo crater. (I can go up a bit more if I have to). My plan is to start on a Sunday and I need to be at Kilimanjaro airport by Wednesday night or early Thursday.

A problem I have is that I am on a special diet so just booking a package tour with full board doesn't offer me the best value as I will anyways be bringing my own food along.

Thanks!!

Bristol
reviews: 45
11. Re: When and how to book

Joseph if you are keen to see the maasal mara and only have limited time and money why not just stay in kenya. This will be better use of your time and money and far less complicated. There are many NP's to visit as well as the Maasai Mara incl uding Amboseli, Samburu, Lake Nakuru and also Lake Naivasha as well as Tsavo East and West so lots of choice. Save visiting Tanzania and the Serengeti for another trip when you have more time and perhaps money.

Edited: 5:29 pm, September 09, 2013
Bristol
reviews: 45
12. Re: When and how to book

Joseph if you are keen to see the maasal mara and only have limited time and money why not just stay in kenya. This will be better use of your time and money and far less complicated. There are many NP's to visit as well as the Maasai Mara incl uding Amboseli, Samburu, Lake Nakuru and also Lake Naivasha as well as Tsavo East and West so lots of choice. Save visiting Tanzania and the Serengeti for another trip when you have more time and perhaps money.

Edited: 5:29 pm, September 09, 2013
Nj
reviews: 26
13. Re: When and how to book

Thank you so much everyone for the honest replies, I really appreciate it and that's why I came here to TA. I wanted to mention 2 things I failed to mention earlier. I am travelling with my wife and our trip budget for the entire trip excluding international flights is between 4K and 5K for the 2 of us. If I can get together a really good trip I may get my sister and bro in law to join.

Seems like you all agree that approx. ten days give or take isn't enough time to really see the Serengeti plus Masai Mara properly. Plus my budget would be tight.

I am leaning now towards seeing the Masai Mara for a couple of days (what's the story with Lake Nakuru btw? is it worthwhile? I wanted to see the millions of flamingoes like on National Geographic!) followed by a trip to Tanzania to see Ngorongo and perhaps Tarangire and Manyara. I would skip the Serengeti, as you guys are saying it's way further and not worth it.

I was wondering if I see the Masai Mara during the migration season for a few days plus the other parks is there even a point in ever returning to the Serengeti? Is the Serengeti just about the migration or is a must see one day for other reasons that would warrant a return trip?

Thanks,

Joseph

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 93
14. Re: When and how to book

Yes, you will want to see the Serengeti in the future and give it the time you need to do it right. In February, all the wildebeest and zebra that you will see in the Mara will be giving birth by the millions in the Ndutu area or Southern Serengti. With this will be an increase of carnivores. Who doesn't love babies of any type? The Serengeti itself is less congested than Mara typically (but not always) is. The skies are massive and the terrain changes from south to north. It is what brings me back to the Serengeti.

Though many animals stay in Serengeti all year round, and provide good safari, there are peak seasons.

The flamingos at Lake Nakuru are seasonal and actually have moved from there to aLake Bogoria. Check the Kenya forum for how good sightings are in August. In Tanzania, there are some flamingos at Lake Manyara, Ngoro Crater, and in the right season - Lake Natron.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
15. Re: When and how to book

You should have a great time just staying in Kenya. I enjoyed Lake Nakura as well as Lake Naivasha. Spend two nights at Naivasha and you can do Hell's Gate hike. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You could do 4 nights Mara, 2 nights Naivasha, 2 nights Samburu, Lake Nakuru, Amboseli and your done!

You might want to look at GameWatchers Safaris for Kenya.

Berlin, Berlin...
16. Re: When and how to book

Hi guys.

i have a couple of questions, any advice would be great!

my girlfriend and i are going there this october. we are allocating 10 days towards visitng National parks (including travel. i guess i will also be faced with the choice of going to the serengeti or the nasai mara. which do u recoomend for october .

is it better to book the safaris when you get there or online?

cheers

neil

Minneapolis...
reviews: 100
17. Re: When and how to book

Neil... best advice... got to the Tanzania Forums page and read some of the items to the right under Top Questions - extensive advice on how to get started planning and resources... a

nd then start your own thread with questions. Jumping on another person's post usually doesn't get as good responses for you and may confuse the process for the orginal poster...

Antigonish, Canada
reviews: 3
18. Re: When and how to book

Hi There,

My 10 year old son and I did an 8 day camping safari in July. We had an excellent guide and cook who can tailor any trip.

Our guide Dearson has since started his own company and I highly recommend him. Tanzania Lion Charters is the name. You may already know that nearly all of the companies are owned by people from other countries so this is an attempt by a Tanzanian to compete.

I can give you lots more info if you are interested. www.tanzanialioncharters.com

Edited: 2:37 pm, September 14, 2013
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
19. Re: When and how to book

Just a little correction, most all of the companies in Tanzania are owned by Tanzanian citizens. There are a few which are owned wholly by foreigners. There are more which are owned as joint ventures with a foreigner and a Tanzania citizen, but by far most are owned wholly by a Tanzania citizen(s). The government has stiff rules for this which makes it very unattractive (capital requirements) for a foreigner to own a safari company, ergo the reason why there are only a few.

20. Re: When and how to book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Arusha Region