We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Basic Info

Which Saint Simons Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
reviews: 8
Need Basic Info

Could someone please give me an overview of Saint Simons and the other nearby islands? What and where is the Village? Normally we vacation on Hilton Head Island but thought we would try something new. I like staying on the beach and my husband golfs. Thanks

Edited: 10:51 am, August 14, 2010
Saint Simons...
reviews: 43
1. Re: Need Basic Info

St Simons Island and Hilton Head are completely different. You should know that it is much smaller and quieter on St Simons. If you are looking for lodging, look in the area of East Beach. The Village is a quaint area at the southern part of the Island. There you will find a pier, lighthouse, parks, shops and restaurants. There are restaurants and shops scattered all along the Island, like Redfern Village, with shopping and dining. Golf is available at Sea Palms and King and Prince Golf Course (also known as the Hampton Club to some). The King and Prince is a much nicer course than Sea Palms and has beautiful holes that take you out into the marsh. If you like biking, you'll love St Simons. It also steeped in history. There are beautiful Live Oaks with spanish moss; just what you think of in the old south.

You didn't say what time of year you were thinking of coming or what type of accommodations you would like. So post again if you are still interested

Georgia
reviews: 14
2. Re: Need Basic Info

I have been lucky and spend time on both Islands this summer.

Hilton Head is much larger and requires a bit of studying maps to learn the different areas.

St Simons is much smaller and a step back in time. I love it!

The village, pier, park and light house are all within strolling distance.

You have a limited number of hotel rooms....but loads of condo to choose from.

You can visit Jekyll Island and see their beaches,( driftwood is a must) visit the millionaire's village and hotel. Just driving around the Island of Jekyll is nice. This limited uninhabited coastal retreat is a wonder.

Savannah....wonderful charm, history, and dining.

I think the Georgia coast has a lot to offer.

Edited: 6:58 pm, August 14, 2010
Saint Simons...
reviews: 43
3. Re: Need Basic Info

Sue and Nan have great ideas. It is hard give you an idea of St Simons in a discription that relates to Hilton Head. St Simons has an other worldly feeling. Sorry if that sounds odd but it is true. When you are here it is like you've been here before or it just feels weird. You ride around and visit the sites like Christ Church and the Fort or Wesley Monument and it has a this effect on you. You might not get it but it would be fun to find out, oh and look for the tree spirits. If after this you decide to come, check back for local info.

Indiana
reviews: 13
4. Re: Need Basic Info

We have also been to both in fact we have stayed at most of the barrier islands from Charleston down. My wife fell in love with St. Simons. The Village is the southern tip of St. Simons and has several resturants and lots of quaint shops. The Lighthouse and museum are also there. They are a must see. The best beach is the East Beach area. There are restrooms and concessions at the Coast Guard station with tons of free parking.There are several resort units in the area for rentals. We always rent a condo or private home from the owners at VRBO.com or Homeaway.com. The Island is rich with history and quite different than Hilton Head. Its more like stepping back in time with no highrises or fastfood places on every conner. Yet it has everything one needs for a enjoyable vacation. St. Simons is very tourist friendly with bike and golf cart rentals which you can tour the entire Island at your leisure without all the traffic hassles. We dont golf but we stayed in a home in Sea Palms in May and the course there look excellent. The King and Prince course on the north side of the Island is supposed to be one of the best in the area. Always plan a day trip to Jekyll Island. A short drive over the bridge. The Historic Area is a neat place to see. The kids if you have young ones would love the Water Park on Jekyll. St Simons has just completed a very nice public park in the Village with swimming and play grounds for the childern. The local resturants have some of the best food we have ever eaten. Its hard to choose a favorite.

5. Re: Need Basic Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 13, 2011