We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

august and hurricanes

Which Jekyll Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
reviews: 29
august and hurricanes

I know that summer is hurricane season, especially august and september. However, what have the past few years looked like as far as bad storms go in early August. I have been contemplating renting a house for a family vacation, but am a little worried about the timing!!!

atlanta ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 12
1. Re: august and hurricanes

No way of knowing what mother nature will do, but the Savannah area has not taken a direct hit in over 100 years I think, at least 50 years. For whatever reason, the Hurricanes tend to go north or south, so if it is a typical year, the worst you would normally see is the rain and wind from the outer bands of the hurricane. But it would probably be smart to ask the home owner what their policy is if you need to evacuate during your vacation.

Albany, New York
reviews: 29
2. Re: august and hurricanes

Thanks...I know you can never say, i was just wondering if I should try for earlier in the summer.

Marietta, Georgia
reviews: 87
3. Re: august and hurricanes

in addition to hurricanes August gives those in the South some of the most brutal heat of the summer.. not to say, of course, that it is not hot in June or July..I used to spend a week in August every summer on Jekyll Island..remember the beach, picking up shells, spotting deer, and how hot it was and how wonderful being in either the pool or the ocean was.. no bad weather memories

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 53
4. Re: august and hurricanes

I agree with the others, you can't predict weather but it's not very likely.

5. Re: august and hurricanes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island