We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

Which Jekyll Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, SC
reviews: 15
Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

The Jekyll Island Authority page for revitalization updates is not working. Does anyone have any current information regarding the status of the construction?

Saint Simons...
reviews: 41
1. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

The construction on the Island is completed.

Columbia, SC
2. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

Great! What about the shops, are they still in trailers? Thanks!

Saint Simons...
3. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

I'm not sure about the trailers by the beach. I haven't been over to Jekyll in about a month. They were still there when I was there. Maybe someone will come along with an update.

Columbia, SC
4. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

Thank you.

Jekyll Island
5. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

The shops are still in trailers. Construction of the the new retail center has not yet started due to delays in obtaining the necessary financing. A groundbreaking date has not yet been set.

Columbia, SC
6. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

That is too bad. Thank you for answering my question. I have one more - is the entrance still detoured or is it restored the same as it used to be? I know they are moving the entrance and payment gate further out, but wondered about having to detour toward the historic district?

Saint Simons...
7. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

The new toll plaza was being completed about a month ago on the causeway. It will be the same entrance fee. I'm not sure why you are so concerned about this and it should not interfere with your visit to the Island. Jekyll Island is STILL Jekyll Island, just with a new entrance and Convention Center.

Columbia, SC
8. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

I am not so concerned, but my parents are. My Dad is 89 and Mom is 87. They love Jekyll, but found the detour and relocation of the shops disconcerting last time they visited. I am trying to find out what the reality is like so I can tell them what to expect. They are hoping to be at Jekyll for a few weeks in February of 2013. I am sure you understand rhat changes are hard for elderly folks to deal with, unlike us.

Columbia, SC
9. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

Sorry for typo: " that", not "rhat".

Ohio
reviews: 99
10. Re: Construction updates for Jekyll Island?

We are on Jekyll right now. The toll both that has been moved is not a problem, but the automated ticket that you must maually insert each time that you return to the island may be for your parents. Also, there is now a roundabout near the new convention center that you must traverse in order to travel north on Beachview on the island. Hope this helps.

Get answers to your questions about Jekyll Island