We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

Which Helen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
austin
reviews: 36
looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

I was looking at flying from Houston into Atlanta so I could see the fireworks show and light show off of Stone Mt. The next day heading north west into the Helen area. I have been in the north west part of ga to look at waterfalls once before, but I was along for the ride and do not remember which falls we went to. I was looking for recommendations on which falls to go to, If I should jump into Sc or Tn, If I should get a hotel so I can go out further or rent a log cabin but have to make the drive back each night and possibly limit how far away I could drive during the day. I also remember seeing a city when we were about finished last time that looked really neat. I do not know how to explain it but it was somewhere close to the Helen Ga area and not like anything I have seen. That might not help but if you have seen the "city" you would likely know exactly what I was talking about. I think it was a German town or something. It has been years ago after a long few days of hiking. Please any help in any way would be greatly appreciated

Covington, Georgia
reviews: 3
1. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

The town you are speaking of is the town of Helen Georgia,it was done in German style.

As far as waterfalls,there are many to see in North Georgia and the surrounding areas of Helen.I will post a link below of a website that shows all of the waterfalls in the North Georgia mountains and directions to get to them.

http://www.jjanthony.com/waterfalls/

austin
2. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

Thanks. When I google Helen it does not show the things I remember seeing when I drove through. Is it like a park or something that I can google for specific things to do?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 57
3. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

You are probabaly thinking of Anna Ruby Falls.

There are a lot of waterfalls in north Georgia. Helen is just one small town in north Georgia. Look also at Minnehaha Falls in Rabun County and you would also enjoy visiting Tallulah Gorge State Park and Black Rock Mountain State Park.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
4. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

Helen is just a small town constructed with a German theme that caters primarily to tourists. www.helenga.org It has restaurants, fudge shops, novelty shops. The main attractions are river tubing, a bear park (which I think is inhumane), zip lining, horse and carriage rides. If you've been to Gatlinburg, you'll find Helen similar, though smaller. What's outside of Helen is far more appealing to me that what's in Helen - the mountains, the wineries, the water falls, the state parks. I'd aim for visiting the surrounding area, and just make a short trip into Helen itself for the novelty factor.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
5. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

I meant Amicolola Falls. Here's a list. Look at waterfalls in Dawson, Lumpkin and Rabun counties - …wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfalls_of_North_Geor…

austin
6. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

Yes Amicolola was one of the falls we went to and amazing in person. I have not seen a picture or video that comes close to how amazing it is in person. Which could be said for most great waterfalls. I plan on visiting it again, but one of the falls was a set of three falls. The larger one was at the bottom where everyone could see. If you climbed up to the second one ( I am not sure if we were allowed to do this and do not want to offend anyone if we were not) was a smaller fall with a huge amount of water gushing down. If you climbed further it was like your own personal pool you could swim in. I do not remember what that top fall looked like so I am thinking after dipping in the pool we called it a day. I lost my videos and pictures but this was my favorite waterfall on that trip

atlanta ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 12
7. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

Falls Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee boasts the largest waterfall this side of the Mississippi --- but many areas make the same boast as they all measure waterfalls differently (height, width, volume of water). Unfortunately, there isn't much else to do around there that I know of, so it is a long drive to see a waterfall -- but if waterfalls are your thing, you might want to work it into future travel plans.

This site (or others like it -- google waterfalls) may help:

newenglandwaterfalls.com/top100uswaterfalls.…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
8. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

The show at Stone Mountain park is good, but there are other good firework shows in the area. The city of Decatur has a great fireworks show. If you want to combine the mountains and fireworks, then head to Rabun County. The homeowners around the mountain lakes donate $$$ to fund firework shows that exceed a lot of towns' budgets for fireworks. Lake Burton's fireworks is usually the Saturday before. Lake Rabun's may be on the Friday. There's a great "woody" parade on Lake Rabun - showcasing the vintage wooden boats - usually on the Saturday of the holiday weekend. The town on Dillard has great fireworks - usually on the Sunday. I haven't checked the calendar yet to see what next year's fireworks calendar will be, but you can see three fireworks shows in one county - a mountain county full of gorgeous waterfalls.

Covington, Georgia
reviews: 3
9. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

drooster1,

Check out these videos of some of the waterfalls in the North Georgia mountains,this guy Mark Willaims has done some amazing stuff.I'm not sure if they're all done in HD but the ones in HD are amazing.At the top of the page on the link I will provide below there are more waterfalls you can scroll through.

http://vimeo.com/5472403

Edited: 3:48 pm, December 04, 2012
Florida
reviews: 1
10. Re: looking to take a fourth of july trip to look at waterfalls

There's a cute cabin right down the street from Anna Ruby Falls and not far from Dukes Creek Falls. www.thebearaffair.com.

Also check out Helton Creek Falls. Ive heard they are really pretty.

Get answers to your questions about Helen