We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 27 - 28

Which Dahlonega hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 5
October 27 - 28

Can someone let me know what may be going on October 27-28. We are driving to Buford, Ga to visit family and would like to drive a little further north to see the mountains.

Thank you

11 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
1. Re: October 27 - 28

Do not know of anything special going on but maybe one of the locals will post. Gold Rush Festival was last weekend.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
2. Re: October 27 - 28

You can always visit the wineries.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
reviews: 58
3. Re: October 27 - 28

the gold mine is fun--plus this time of year the Richard Russll pkwy is a beauful drive,as is the route north of dahlonega

Birmingham, Alabama
4. Re: October 27 - 28

We did that last year and it seems like the wineries are more interested in seeing how many people they can get through the line than explaining the process and enjoying the vineyards.

Yes the drive is very nice this time of year.

Edited: 6:50 pm, October 25, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 57
5. Re: October 27 - 28

Well if you did the drive last year, why not go somewhere else? I'm a big fan of Rabun County in the NE corner. You can head north past Gainesville and it's 4 lane all the way. Stop at Tallulah Falls State Park and walk along the rim of the gorge. It's gorgeous (no pun intended). Continue on into Clayton and wander a bit and shop if you are interested. I can recommend several restaurants if you like. Go north of Clayton about 3 miles and turn at Mountain City to see Black Rock Mountain State Park. It's the highest state park in Georgia and the views are gorgeous. There are two trails near the peak - a moderate 2.2 or a strenuos 7miler. If you want more of a stroll, there's a .85m walk around Black Rock lake that is gorgeous. I posted pictures from last weekend's trip. If you are interested in yesteryear, go to the Foxfire museum. This weekend will be absolutely gorgeous up there. If you like antiques (or just stuff) there are lots of choices in Dillard. When you are finished in the Clayton/Dillard area (you could always eat at the famous Dillard House), head west out of Clayton on 76. You'll pass over Lake Burton. Head south on 197 towards Batesville and Clarksville. I think that combination of 76W and 197S is the prettiest drive in the state. Stop at the Mark of the Potter - an old mill - to see the potters at work and giant trout in the Soque River below. If you still have time, drive over towards the Sautee-Nachoochee Valley or just head on home. Regarding wineries - I've never felt rushed at Tiger Mountain Vineyards just outside Clayton They were slammed last weekend but not rushed. Fabulous tasting for $5. The winery at Sautee is good too. There's a new one in Rabun County I've not tried - 12 Spies Vineyard. The elevation is highest in that corner of the state and there's lots to see and do. If you head up Sat morning there's a nice little organic market in Clayton (at the old elementary school) with folks selling fresh eggs, veggies, pickles, jellies, homemade soaps, etc. There's usually someone playing music there and a last week there was someone giving chair massages. Just a very relaxed, happy, peaceful, easy place to spend the weekend.

Birmingham, Alabama
6. Re: October 27 - 28

Thanks for your suggestions. We are driving 6 hours to visit family, so I dont want to drive much further. We also are short on time since we will only have Saturday to sight see. I have traveled all around North Georgia, but cant do it this time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 57
7. Re: October 27 - 28

If that's the case, I'm not sure I'd head to Dahlonega from Buford on an October weekend. Unless you like traffic. Head to Chateau Elan. Beautiful grounds, nice winery, splurge for a spa treatment, have lunch or dinner - and all 15 miles/ less than 30 minutes away.

Huntsville, AL
reviews: 11
8. Re: October 27 - 28

Thank you for the write up. I have a few days of vacation and this part of GA is a slice of heaven. Not big on hiking. I love scenic drives, waterfalls, woods, historical sites, good food and WINE. You described them all.

What is your favorite food or fun around Dahlonega? The traveler from North Alabama.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
9. Re: October 27 - 28

Favorite food in N. GA is at Dillard House in Dillard, GA near Clayton and Tallulah Gorge. Come hungry because the food is delicious!!

Smith House is in Dahlonega but just don't think it is quite as good as it used to be- imo.

Huntsville, AL
reviews: 11
10. Re: October 27 - 28

My brother said Dilliard will have a line to get in and worth the wait. njw

Reply to: October 27 - 28
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted