We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting in Sept

Which Clayton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, FL
reviews: 10
Rafting in Sept

My husband and I would like to go white water rafting, but I am hesitant to go in the fall when the water levels will be lower. Has anyone been rafting in this area and provide some insight? We are both in our early 30's, in good shape, and looking for some decent rapids.

Gainesville, Georgia
reviews: 333
1. Re: Rafting in Sept

i think the chattooga river will be all you can handle. paddle faster, i hear banjos...like the tee shirt says.

florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: Rafting in Sept

You could also raft on the Nantahala River in North Carolina. It is about 90 minutes from Clayton. It will always have water in it because it is dam released water.

atlanta ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 12
3. Re: Rafting in Sept

We like the Ocoee in Tennessee (near the border), but not sure about water levels in september, but there are multiple websites for the outfitters who rent the rafts, that you can check outwith a quick google search --- the nantahala really doesnt have "rapids" like the Chattoog and Ocoee.

Dunedin, FL
4. Re: Rafting in Sept

Thanks for all the responses so far. We have been looking online a lot trying to figure out all our options.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
5. Re: Rafting in Sept

What level wwr are you looking for? I am not sure how far you want to drive from Clayton. As I get older I become more chicken. I have been sucked in too many holes down some shoots over the years. Some of the best wwr is in this area of the world. Of course fall is pretty mellow. If you are just looking for Class II or III then call the places up and find out if and when they will release. If you want more of a challenge, and it starts to finally rain again, wait for some Class IV and V late spring. If you want the rush, and are spending the money, you may be dissapointed this fall. If you are just looking for fun, then go for it and have a great time. The problem I find with going in the fall, especially when the water levels are low, there are too many newbies,and I worry about loosing my teeth, or getting a black eye from inexperienced kids in my raft ;)

Dunedin, FL
6. Re: Rafting in Sept

I wouldn't say we are looking for class 5 rapids, more level 3 and 4. My husband wants to go even if the water if low, so looks like we will go see what it's like.

In terms of how far from Clayton, we will be driving from Tampa and would like to stay under 10 hours of driving. So we do have some flexibilty of where to go.

Thanks again for all the responses.

7. Re: Rafting in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Clayton