We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

Which Blue Ridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
reviews: 103
"Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

Does anyone know anything about this rental? This will be our first trip to the area and I searched for DAYS trying to find the perfect fit for us. I think I finally just gave in & chose this place because it was "different". Well, now that I have paid in full (because of the last minute booking) I am having doubts!! I see the forecast is calling for cool days and cold nights, I look back and the "cabin" description only mentions having wood burning fire place and gas space heaters. Cooler weather means more laundry...I look back...no mention of a washer & dryer. Uuuuuugh! As much as I love going to new places I truly hate not knowing what I am getting until I get there! Of course it is my fault for not checking ahead but I think I had already looked at soooo many that I just narrowed it down to water access and proper placement of bedrooms. Soooo....has anybody ever stayed there who can help me out? Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
1. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

Why not ask the owner?

Alabama
2. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

Yes, I suppose I am going to be forced to call about the washer & dryer so we can pack accordingly. I guess those questions just made a million more pop into my head so I was just wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience with the place.

Atlanta
3. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

I would call the owner. We have stayed in maybe 30 rental cabins and every one of them had a washer and dryer.

Alabama
4. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

Well, we returned late yesterday so I thought I would give an update incase someone else had questions about the place in the future. Turns out it DOES have a washer & dryer. It also has THE WORST water on the planet! The bottom of the washer & dishwasher were yellowish brown. You couldn't even use the water for ice cubes or coffee. You smelled worse after getting out of the shower than before getting in. I was told by locals that this was because it was well water. But I was also told you could use filters & regular upkeep to make it much better than it was.

My husband & son loved the private 5 acre lake & access to the owners canoe...even though it snowed and was freezing 2 of the 3 days we were there.

When we first arrived I thought the place was...charming? Eclectic? Interesting? That wore off quickly. There wasn't a single piece of comfortable furniture in the common areas inside or out. There was so much clutter in the kitchen, the cabinets, countertops etc...there was no room for the food and things we brought so they just had to sit around and add to the clutter. Every surface in the place had some sort of hodge podge... junk..? all over it which made me VERY claustrophobic pretty quickly. There were 4 tv's in the place but 2 never would work despite my husbands best efforts. Dish Network channels were VERY limited, internet was hit or miss, as was cell service, even thou both were listed as present. The ONLY saving grace was the master suite upstairs which was very spacious, NOT full of clutter, updated, had a comfy king bed and a wonderful view of the lake. Sadly I couldn't spend too much time up there because the heat was gas space heaters & a wood burning fireplace which wreaked havoc on my sinuses & all of the heat went straight up the stairs to the master. I tried to crack a window but they were screwed shut (I assume for the winter?) so the only option was to leave the door to the deck open which would have been too much since nights were in the 20's & 30's.

Unless you have very low expectations & plan to spend 95% of your time outside...I would not advise staying here!

Hobe Sound, Florida
5. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

I agree with your assessment about the water and comfort of the decor. I received several splinters in my hand from the wood siding groping around trying to find ill placed light switches. The kitchen was like a tomb even with the lights on. The showers are horrible. The door on the master shower had to be slammed shut but water still leaked out all over the floor. The only saving grace was the weather was nice so we spent most of our time outdoors.

Hobe Sound, Florida
6. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

We just returned from our stay here and had major issues with security. When I left the cabin with my boys two intruders came into our cabin while my wife was in the shower. They rummaged around until my wife confronted them and told them to leave. They went down to the dock and started using the canoe and dock area for sunbathing even though our rental agreement specifically stated the dock and canoe was for our private use only. Also, when we arrived we notice security cameras everywhere and a guy would come by and mow a patch of grass each day doubling as a security guard. This place was anything but private and very unsafe! We never left the cabin for fear of our things being stolen. I would let my wife take the boys out to do things while I stayed home and stood guard. On top of all of this, the owners refused to refund even one nights stay for the intruder incident!

Blue Ridge
7. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

At Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals we take pride in being a trustworthy and respected company. We are sorry and apologetic for this situation, but feel that all stories have two sides. This residency is in a private area. It is not on a “main road” as mentioned in the review, but on a gravel road which is lightly traveled. The “traffic” that is mentioned is simply hardworking residence of Fannin County who travel to and from work each day. On the issue of security, if anyone enters a rental property you should call 911 and let the police deal with home invaders. We did not receive a telephone call, but rather an email the following day about these intruders. The lawn man was simply doing his job and is not a security officer. We are sorry you felt you could not leave the cabin. However the cabins do have locks. There is one security camera that is pointing at the driveway, not everywhere as mentioned. We had all ready discounted this trip with a “free” night. Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals did nothing wrong to cause us to refund another night. These issues should have been dealt with by the police. We have no control over intruders walking through unlocked doors at any of our cabin that we manage, and feel that a 911 call was in order in this situation.

8. Re: "Ladybug Lake" Mountain Laurel Cabin Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 10, 2014