We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

Which Blue Ridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blue Ridge, Georgia
reviews: 37
Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

As you head north on I-575, you will reach a point where limited access ends and the highway changes from 575 to 515. At that point the speed limit drops from 70 mph to 65 mph. Within a few miles, it drops again to 55 mph. (although, the highway is capable of supporting higher speeds) When you cross highway 53 (Waleska Highway), the Pickens County speed trap begins. Foir the next four miles, the local police take advantage of the inexplicable drop in the speed limit to bring in revenue to Jasper. The worst single spot is at mile marker 3. They park on the left side (as you go north). To a lesser extent, as you leave Ellijay, cross the river and proceed up the hill, the Ellijay police often catch motorists as they speed up. Good luck and drive safely.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 69
1. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

If you're exceeding the limit, you're liable, whether you think the limit is justified or not. BTW, the law in Georgia is that local cops cannot ticket you with radar/laser unless you're exceed the limit by over 10 mph. Only the Georgia State Patrol can ticket for 1 mph over the limit.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 59
2. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

I agree with Stevedec. If you aren't speeding, you won't get a ticket.

And I know a bride who was killed before her wedding on the limited access portion of that road.

So although you contend that the road "is capable of supporting higher speeds" I would disagree. Limited access road speeds should be lower than expressway speeds and speed limits inside city limits should be lower still. It's a safety issue - not a speed trap issue.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
3. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

I agree with the others. If you're speeding it's your responsibility. The speed limit is set by law, which you agree to follow when you get behind the wheel. It's primarily based on population studies and traffic pattern studies, but also based on the history of incidents that occur in an area. Fortunately it isn't up to each driver to decide for herself what she thinks a roadway can support. Pay your ticket and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Ellijay
reviews: 3
4. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

All true, I go through this section of highway very often and if you are not speeding you have no problems. And by the way, while you are slowing down... get your butt out of the left lane!!

Asheville, North...
reviews: 88
5. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

all of the routes north ( and the other 3 directions as well) are like this... the speed limits change and the local ticket writers usually are sitting there waiting for unaware people passing through and going over the limit.. if you speed you pay... what is more of a problem is the speeding out of towner and the speeding local( usually driving a pick up truck with attitude) who thinks he will not be stopped no matter what who tailgates any one going the legal limit..I go up more of the Eastern route to Franklin NC , Highlands NC on 441 through Clayton, Dillard and Mountain City...and see following too close, aggressive pick ups and people getting tickets all the time .... be careful out there

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 59
6. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

The "speed traps" on that eastern route are at Tallulah Falls at Tallulah Gorge SP and at Mountain City (between Clayton and Dillard). Both tiny towns get a whole lot of revenue from people who don't slow down. Considering there are a lot of pedestrians at the bridge over the gorge and that I got rear-ended as I tried to turn left in Mountain City on my way to Black Rock Mountain SP, I am VERY MUCH in favor of speed zones and very much against people who choose to speed. People die due to others' stupidity. Asking someone to slow down so they don't kill someone is not a problem IMO. Fining them if they choose not to do so is not a problem either IMO.

I am thankful to be alive. I was hit by an uninsured driver from Atlanta who was looking for the drive-in at "Tigger, GA" (Tiger). He missed his turn 6 miles before and was on the wrong 441.

Helpful hint for driving anywhere in the state - slow down when the speed limit changes. It changes for a reason and you won't get a ticket.

7. Re: Speed traps enroute to Blue Ridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 20, 2014