We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Which Blue Ridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

My family will be staying in a cabin in the Blue Ridge area in mid-March, visiting from Florida. I am not familiar with the area at all, and would love to get suggestions on where to go while visiting. We enjoy the outdoors & are hoping that the weather isn't too cold while we are there so we can enjoy some hiking & nature. Any places that are "must-sees" in this area? Also, we would love to take maybe one or two day trips from this area during our stay (1-2 hours distance max)...any recommendations for day trips from this area would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 4
1. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Atlanta is about 1.5 hours from the city, so that's an option for a "day trip." Downtown blue ridge has nice shops & restaurants, but in mid-march, you never know how great the weather will be.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 323
2. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Blue Ridge Scenic RR-

http://brscenic.com/

Drive over to Clayton and Dillard- stop at Tallulah Gorge and eat lunch at the Dillard House.

Drive to Dahlonega and pan for gold, see gold museum and eat lunch at Smith House.

Here is a website with links to lots of info about the area-

http://blueridgemountains.com/

Enjoy your visit!!

atlanta ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 17
3. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Chattanooga or Asheville are good places, or just travel the scenic highways. Atlanta will probably be warmer, just depends on what you enjoy doing. GA has excellent state parks all over north GA that offer various activities, and many of the small towns in north ga have their own unique things that draw people to them (panning for gold, horseback riding, Baby Land General, antiquing)

Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I plan on printing them out and taking them with us. We wouldn't mind a nice snow really either, but most likely, it will be cold, just not that cold. We used to live in Oregon, so it probably won't be much different than it is in Oregon that time of year.

I was wondering about Chattanooga. Is there much to do there? I just think of the train. I have friends in Asheville and love that area for sure, but will have to see what the drive time is from Blue Ridge.

Thanks again!

Tampa, Florida
5. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Also, for traveling the scenic highways- do you think we will be alright with our subaru? It has four wheel drive, but we don't carry chains being from Florida and all.

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
reviews: 120
6. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

You would only need chains for snow / ice conditions and the liklihood of that in mid-March is remote although stranger things have happened. 4WD would be a comfort if you wanted to go north GA waterfall hunting on some of the forest service roads that can get rutted or cross small streams. Chattanooga has a variety of activities from Rock City, Ruby Falls, Lookout Mountain, Civil War battlefields, Incline Railway to the Aquarium (although minor when compared to the GA Aquariun in Atlanta). They also have the "Ducks" land and water sightseeing tour. That would be a scenic drive along US76 towards Dalton and then I-75 up into Chattanooga. Should be about 2 hours assuming a leisurely pace on Hwy 76.

Tampa, Florida
7. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Thank you dlwinger for your suggestions. We have friends in Fernandina Beach...lovely area to visit!

I think we might check out the Lookout Mountain- sounds interesting. Thank you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 323
8. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

Also near Franklin, NC there is a very scenic drive with lots of waterfalls-

www.discoverfranklinnc.com/waterfalls.html

Atlanta
9. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

I agree with the scenic drive to the waterfalls in Franklin/Highlands area in North Carolina.

10. Re: Day Trips/Suggestions from Blue Ridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014