We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What must we see in Blue Ridge?

Which Blue Ridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackwood, Wales
reviews: 49
What must we see in Blue Ridge?

Noswaith dda/Good evening,

We are visiting the Blue Ridge Area next summer and we definitely want to go on the train trip. (We missed it last time!) I'd be grateful for any 'must-see' ideas from people in the know. We're not campers or huge walkers but like cycling and love the scenery. One other question from this sensitive Brit is about insects and the best repellent for the little blighters (critters!!). Got bitten alive in Montana two summers ago. We are staying in a cabin near Blue Ridge, near a lake in the Aska Adventure area if that helps. Thnk you very much, posting about next summer helps when faced with a dark, damp November night in the UK!

Diolch

KB

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 253
1. Re: What must we see in Blue Ridge?

You will be very close to Hiawassee and they have the Georgia Mountain fair and music festival from July 20-29. Also check out Mercier Orchards and not too far is the site of various 1996 Olympic venues on the Ocoee River- Ocoee Whitewater Center. And of course you already mentioned the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway.

Hope this info helps!!

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
2. Re: What must we see in Blue Ridge?

You might enjoy a trip to Baldtown Brass the highest point in Georgia.

The town of Helen can be fun, if you realize it is a town for tourists. It has been made to look like a Bavarian village.

Just down the road is Nacoochee Village with various buildings including a mill. Unicoi State Park is not too far away and also Anna Ruby Falls which can be seen after walking a paved trail of about a half mile.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 19
3. Re: What must we see in Blue Ridge?

We've been to Blue Ridge twice, both times staying at Above the Rest Cabins (which are fabulous!) so we go to get away from it all. But the nice thing about Blue Ridge is the quaint town itself with its many shops (from art dealers to clothing boutiques) as well as its unique eating establishments (from semi-gourmet to "Southern Cookin.'" See my review for "Harvest on the Main."

We do our grocery shopping at Ingles Market (Appalachian Parkway) which has a Starbucks inside (a hit with my kids!)

I too like to bike (road) and there's a great shop in town. Check out:

http://www.cyclesouth.net/

If you like adventure, then definitely raft the Ocoee and its "4" series rapids or take a more leisurely float down the Hiawassee. I believe both are controlled/maintained by the TVA, and only operate certain times of the year, so you'll need to research this before coming. Both are about 30-40 minutes away.

And like the other posts have mentioned, there are plenty of other places to visit in the area if you don't mind the drive.

Per bugs...I've never been there in the summer, but it won't be like Montana where bugs are the size of dogs. Nevertheless, I'd pack "Off" or "Cutter" to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

You'll have a blast either way! Safe travels.

Blackwood, Wales
reviews: 49
4. Re: What must we see in Blue Ridge?

Thank you all for your replies, they're really helpful. It's particularly comforting to know the bugs aren't as big as those in Montana!

Regards

KB

Georgia
reviews: 1
5. Re: What must we see in Blue Ridge?

CUtter's will work fine.

THe bugs you really need to worry about are the ticks. As long as you aren't out bushwacking or walking in tall grass you should be OK.

6. Re: What must we see in Blue Ridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 09, 2012