We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Which Weston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fountain
reviews: 1
Vacation Village Weston, activities help

We are planning a trip to Weston for early November. Will be staying at Vacation Village. We are interested in a few specific activities and are open to other suggestions as we have never traveled to Weston. We would like to eat at rock and roll ribs not too far away. Any review on the food would be great. Also, we are interested in driving down to the keys for a day trip, any suggestions on the best areas to stop for beach time with kids would be great (infant, toddler, 12, 14). We are also interested in an everglade tour, would this be appropriate with an infant, or are the boats too loud. We would also love feedback on the resort. thanks for your help.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
1. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

I think the boat may be too loud and intense for an infant and even for many toddlers . You might consider going to Shark Valley - a part of the Everglades where you can ride a tram through instead- or the older kids can rent bicycles there. Or maybe one parent could go on the airboat with the older kids- I am sure they would love it , but the toddler and the infant both might well be terrified in my opinion.

Brandon, Florida
2. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Agreed - in fact I wouldn't recommend the airboat for any of the kids. Their ear drums are still too sensitive and even with earplugs they may sustain damage which would not be noticed immediately.

They would all be happy with the tram tour in Shark Valley.

A drive to Islamorada to see the huge tarpon at Robbie's Marina would be nice for the kids - heck, even as an adult I enjoyed it. Small fee to go in. The tarpon come right up to the pier and they can be fed with bait which you can buy at the bait shop there.

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
reviews: 89
3. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Hello mrserb2: I don't know much about Vacation Village so have no comment either good or bad, but it is in a nice area of Weston with golf courses surrounding and the spa and Hyatt Resort right down the street.

I have not heard of Rock and Roll Ribs but it seems like a nice BBQ place. If you want some places in Weston that you and the kids would enjoy you could try Bonefish Grill and Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza...both are casual and good family restaurants.

Shark Valley is fun to do with the kids, although there is not a lot of shade out there as you're right in the middle of the everglades and this is our hottest few months. I do agree that the airboat tour would be too loud for the infant but think the rest of your family might enjoy it if you were to split up. I always take out of town guests on this tour and they have all loved the tour. You could also try Flamingo Gardens...it also offers a tram tour around the grounds and usually offer some type of wildlife show for the guests. They have an arboretum, a butterfly and hummingbird garden, and a large aviary with lots of wild birds that fly around. Here's the link for you to look at: http://www.flamingogardens.org/Default.htm.

Hope you have a lovely stay in Weston.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 54
4. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Please note that the Keys are not known for their beaches. Most are not your typical sand beach. To get to a good one, you would have to go past Marathon. About a 2.5 hour drive from Weston. It's not something I would consider a day trip. Islamorada is quite a bit closer. Robbie's is a lot of fun. Are you into fishing or snorkeling? If so Islamorada is a great destination. John Pennecamp State Park is in Key Largo (about 1.5 hrs from Weston). There is a snorkel boat that leaves from there.

Fountain
5. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

thank you for all the great info: Can anyone recommend great beaches for young children, swimming, maybe snorkeling off the beach, without taking out a boat or tour? The kids also enjoy shelling.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
6. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Check out this article from the Sun Sentinel. It was written some years ago. I've been to Red Reef park. It is close to Weston and great for little ones.

southflorida.com/…2558821.story

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
7. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

And in the same complex as Red Reef is Gumbo Limbo Nature Center where the kids will be able to see all kinds of sea creatures and even touch/feed them- highly recommended for children...

It's bit of a drive north and east from Weston though...

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
reviews: 13
8. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Instead of Shark Valley, combine the Everglades with the drive to the Keys. This day trip gives suggestions. Skip Pennekamp/snorkeling as you won't be able to fit it all in (and the little ones can't partake).

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12780-Everglad…

Anhinga Trail, which is described on the list, is stroller friendly and has a boatload of wildlife.

I agree the airboat is no place for toddlers and babies (too loud) so maybe one afternoon a parent and older kids could head down US 41 for a ride.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
9. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

If you do the Anahinga trail, do it with a park ranger. It is very interesting. They point out things that you would miss on your own, and it's free.

Kemah, Texas
reviews: 13
10. Re: Vacation Village Weston, activities help

Do you know anywhere around Weston, Ft. Lauderdale and/or Deerfield for New Year's Eve without breaking the bank. I looked at the Biltmore and it sounds great till you get to the $300 per person. Just want a nice cozy place to have dinner and maybe a little dancing (62 yrs old so a little is all i am good for) with my wife and maybe catch the fireworks. This is short notice, so here is my email if you get a chance. ed.loosemore@pcg.com