We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Which Vero Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sandy, Utah
reviews: 63
Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

My wife and I are trying to find the right beach for a few nights. We have been primarily looking at the Clearwater/St Pete area, but Red Tide is scaring us a bit, and it sounds like a pretty crowded/busy place. We're looking for something a bit more laid back and relaxed...like a Corona commercial. :) Is Vero beach the spot for us?

Is there somewhere else you'd recommend? Also, if anyone has suggestions on what to do for a few days in the Vero area let us know. I'm looking for scuba/snorkeling, she's looking for museums, shows, etc. Thanks much!

Tampa, Florida
1. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Look also at New Smyrna Beach and Cocoa Beach. Where do you plan to fly into? Both of those are easily accessible from Orlando.

Edited: 8:23 pm, October 13, 2012
Sandy, Utah
2. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Thanks for the reply. We are flying into Orlando, spending a couple days there, then heading to the beach. What are the key differences between Smyrna, Cocoa, and Vero? I've looked a bit at Cocoa and it seems busier/more crowded than Vero...from what I can gather.

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

At this time of the year I don't think there will be much difference as far as crowds go - all relatively quiet.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
4. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Vero Beach (the part on the barrier island) is an affluent community with lots of live oaks and an oceanfront business district (restaurants, upscale retail, a few hotels, and banks/stock brokers) and is pedestrian-oriented. Even A1A to the north (as in at Disney's resort at Wabasso) is a 2-lane road.

Cocoa Beach (entirely separate from Cocoa) is a largely mid-income residential area with relatively little pedestrian orientation. A1A is a busy four-lane. Of course they have larger hotels than Vero. For whatever reason, Cocoa Beach is tree-challenged. The beach is far better for surfing than Vero.

New Smyrna Beach on the barrier island is a bit economically challenged (the residents won't be rocket scientists) but it has a good pedestrian main street (Flagler) and is a pleasant community. Driving is allowed on the beach, which is otherwise similar to Cocoa Beach's.

Google Street View has superlative imagery of Vero and likely of the other two communities.

Sandy, Utah
5. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Thanks for the additional feedback. It sounds like Vero might be the right place. Also We found hotels there that really look nice (costa d'este and kimpton). What will we miss out on between Vero and st Pete, or vice versa?

Boston...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Well, you certainly don't want a beach where the residents aren't rocket scientists LOL

I guess there would be rocket scientists in Cocoa Beach, because of Kennedy Space Center? :))

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
7. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Cutbacks at the Kennedy Space Center have hurt Cocoa Beach, but it's still a place where your neighbor might be working to keep the International Space Station running in good order.

Cocoa Beach is also a major center for surfing, despite the lack of waves compared to California, Hawai'i, or much of Australia. There's a statue of Kelly Slater. So is New Smyrna Beach.

Boston...
8. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

BlueRusso, I love your posts.

Seriously.

They remind me of the line from that old TV show Dragnet..."Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts"

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
9. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Thanks, carmela. I've gotta add a bit of stuff for zracoon:

St. Pete's beaches (and Clearwater) are part of a sizable urban area, at least 2.5 million, not counting visitors and winter residents. The three east coast beaches tend to lack the bigger-city feel (like the Dali museum) though arguably Vero Beach does very well culturally with a splendidly-housed professional theater, small art museum, opera and live theater broadcasts at a movie theater, and so forth. As a matter of perspective, Vero seems to have been the best area in the nation for recent Republican fundraising, at least until their presidential candidate reached out to the Hamptons. There's that kind of wealth.

Boston...
10. Re: Vero Beach vs other beaches for anniversary

Uh oh...you're treading on dangerous ground when you bring politics into it...careful.

My cousin bought a brand new condo in Vero Beach a couple of years ago and said it was an amazing deal...an offer too good to refuse! So there must be some affordable places amongst all that wealth