We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Vero Beach a Good Place to Visit for a Couple?

Which Vero Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Is Vero Beach a Good Place to Visit for a Couple?

I am curious if Vero Beach is the right place for my boyfriend and I. I am 25 years old, he is 35. We both enjoy going out, eating at a more upscale setting, we also enjoy going to bars afterwards, that do not have to be fancy by any means, flip flops are fine with us. Aside from the night time activities, how are the beaches? I live in Tampa, so I go to the beach on a regular basis so I am not dying to just lay out and soak up the rays, as its something I do fairly regularly. This vacation would be more centered around eating great food, going out for drinks and relaxing. We would also like to be able to walk around, living in Tampa we have to drive to everything, and we cannot stand this (we are used to big city life: Chicago, DC, Philadelphia) so not having to use a car would also be a very good thing.

Thanks!

I also forgot to mention, we have no children and we like to stay away from a "family environment".

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 82
1. Re: Is Vero Beach a Good Place to Visit for a Couple?

It sounds to me like you would enjoy Ft. Lauderdale much more. It is a larger city, you can get around without a car for the most part. They even have a bar hopping water taxi. Vero Beach is more retirement /family oriented. It's pretty laid back, you can walk to some things beachside but most of it is driving to anywhere else. Very small town compared to Tampa.

Another option would be Cocoa Beach or Key West (however not much in the way of beaches there)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 82
2. Re: Is Vero Beach a Good Place to Visit for a Couple?

Also wanted to say the beaches on the upper east coast (from Palm Beach north) are narrower and steaper than the rest of the beaches in Florida. The sand is a courser sand, with finely broken shells mixed in (doesnt hurt your feet but its not the soft sugar sand you have on the gulf). Seashells are fewer and not the variety the gulf has either.

Ft. Lauderdale & Miami have nice wide beaches, more hard packed sand areas then we have here. The Keys have very small beaches. Some hotels do not even have a beach so if you book there ask first. Check the Florida Keys & Key West forums for more info on the keys.

Im not saying Vero Beach would be a total loss but its just not real busy. There are some nice bars to go to and some good waterfront dining. Some laid back, jeans and flip flops, some like the Ocean Grill are more dress up but good food.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 40
3. Re: Is Vero Beach a Good Place to Visit for a Couple?

Perhaps you could find a cheap flight to San Diego? The city's popular with Florida surfers and their families.

Miami Beach (not just the South Beach portion) is the best pedestrian-oriented beach in the state and impressive by anybody's standards. The beach itself is wide and odd--it's artificial, made of calcium carbonate particles rather than the more usual silica and tending to feel like concrete. But it's very popular, has great boardwalks, and has the warmest water in Florida. Culturally, Miami Beach is unlike anything else in Florida. Perhaps the best emblem is the new school and performing hall for the New World Symphony, a training orchestra for sharp young graduates of music schools. Architect was Frank Gehry, a boyhood friend of Michael Tilson Thomas, who built up the NWS.

Broward County (not just Ft Lauderdale) has nice beaches, but Palm Beach County in general has less beach. You might look at Delray Beach, a community that's revived itself fairly recently.

Beachfront Vero has a distinct and busy pedestrian area with a collection of good, fairly expensive restaurants and some very expensive clothing and jewelry stores. Later-in-the-evening places are a bit sparse. Joey's on the mainland abruptly closed, bought out by the landlord so a chain restaurant could take the spot. Riverside Grill under the bridge to the mainland is popular with younger professionals.

The beachfront is wealthy, mostly retirees, many living in elaborate gated communities with their own golf courses, like John's Island and Windsor. They made our county the best fundraising spot in the country for Mitt Romney, at least until he recently visited the Hamptons. Things may get shaken up a bit--a high-concept young New York developer will be building a high-concept vacation house on a conspicuous piece of land in the central beach area.

The beaches at Vero and vicinity are narrow and rather steep. They usually have little surf due to offshore reefs that offer good snorkeling under high-visibility conditions.

The Vero mainland is car-oriented, though recent improvements in the sidewalk network have provided several good urban hiking routes.

North of us, Brevard County is with few exceptions car oriented. New Smyrna Beach is an inelegant but likeable place with a walkable main street (Flagler). Still, I doubt that it belongs on the same list as Hanalei, Kauai:

…nationalgeographic.com/adventure/trips/best…

Central Daytona Beach remains a slum and more affluent Ormond Beach to the north is highly car-oriented. The beach, like New Smyrna, has driving on the beach, which isn't to everyone's taste.

St. Augustine is an ancient tourist trap with its grand hotels from the late 1800s converted to other purposes. It's culturally Deep South, so there's historic markers commemorating the civil rights demonstrations of 1964 featuring Dr. King. Nevertheless, the carless beach at Anastasia State Park is magnificent and the little Fort Mose State Park is rather moving.

4. Re: Is Vero Beach a Good Place to Visit for a Couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 21, 2013