We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly?

Which Vero Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gay friendly?

How gay friendly is Vero Beach?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
reviews: 42
1. Re: Gay friendly?

I'm pretty clueless. The community is split between the wealthy retirement communities of (mostly) the barrier island, and the services-agricultural community of the mainland. Lots of grapefruit groves. The working middle class are kind of scarce, and there's only a small outpost of the state college (ex community college). We do get a small but steady stream of young European tourists, and it is indeed possible to be young and gay in this town. The young are likely to head to Melbourne for social activity. A couple of years ago, it was adventurous and faintly controversial for the local professional theater to do "La Cage". It played to full houses of those affluent retirees.

Politically, the county is hard right, more economically than religiously, but the big annual Prayer Breakfast had the late Jerry Falwell as its speaker a few years ago.

Maybe worth mentioning that we had a huge house-building boom that crashed, so unemployment is extremely high.

Edited: 8:15 am, April 18, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 82
2. Re: Gay friendly?

The Vero Beach area is not known as a gay destination, altho I am sure there are some gays in Vero Beach. I just don't think they are as out here as other cities. I have been out of the loop on the social scene in this area for a while, but I remember there used to be a couple of bars that seemed to be the place where we would see more gay people than others. I cannot remember the names of them but one was located in the Miracle Mile shopping plaza near the center of town.

I know the community has probably changed a lot since I lived there but it seems to still be as blue said, older and very conservative. The western side used to be very southern country / cowboy type of people but with the influx of subdivisions in the early 2000's the area has changed somewhat. Many citrus groves and cattle farms are now replaced by these subdivisions.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
3. Re: Gay friendly?

Miracle Mile? Joeys could be a place to start. I toured their magnificent kitchen before they opened but haven't dropped in--I'm not a good restaurant goer (finally made it to Bobby's the other night).

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
4. Re: Gay friendly?

Its been a long time ago blue, I only remember it was a small bar, had a dart board, a bar and a few tables. It may have been in one of the plaza's next to the Miracle Mile plaza.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
5. Re: Gay friendly?

The only such I could think of is Long Branch Saloon, which has been there forever. There's a much more upscale spot at the east end of Miracle Mile in a newly-developed group of shops replacing the Modernage furniture store.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
6. Re: Gay friendly?

It sounds like I need to make a trip to Vero!, Things are changing so quickly. The worst part is I remember when they built Modernage! I have been wanting to come down and try the Patio since it reopened and still haven't had the time to do so.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
7. Re: Gay friendly?

The Patio is now El Toro Tequila and Tacos.

To a large extent, the barrier island and areas serving it are doing OK, although I expect that at least the usual number of restaurants will be closing as the winter/spring season comes to an end. They tend to do so suddenly, without warning the employees. I'm out of contact with my long-time source of restaurant intelligence.

Inland, the vast new residential areas that were underway in 2008 are quiet, though I think work has begun on a new Publix and rail crossing on US 1 north of town. The shopping mall retains its anchor stores, but everything else is disappearing.

vero beach Fl.
8. Re: Gay friendly?

Not very. Not very much of anything really, the sidewalk rolls up after 9 pm. Several good restaurants and finally a downtown cinema. Chuck's sea food restaurant in Fort Pierce seems to attract a fair number of older gay couples at the bar. Good food and drinks, but in no sense of the word "hot".

9. Re: Gay friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 18, 2013