We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Tampa - where to stay

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 4
Flying into Tampa - where to stay

Looking at flying to Tampa July/August - family of 4 (kids are 10 & 7) - any great destinations you can recommend? Looking for a fairly quiet & comfortable stay, close to some good beaches & things for family to do. Also is west coast florida any less likely to get hurricanes than the east coast??????? fingers crossed...

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 32
1. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

we have not had a direct hit by a hurricance in almost 100 years, I suggest 3 properties. 2 are directly on the beach & one is a golf resort appx. 15 minutes from the beach. TradeWinds on St Pete Beach, Residence Inn on Treasure Island & the Innisbrook Golf Resoort. Innisbrook has great summer deals & condo accomoidations, perfect for a family of 4. The pool & the course are awesome

Edited: 4:53 pm, April 07, 2013
Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 23
2. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

There are no beaches in Tampa. Check out the forums for Clearwater Beach, and St. Pete Beach. These are the two more active beaches in the area, with some smaller, more laid-back beach communities between them. TPA to Clearwater Beach is around a 30-35 minute drive.

Hurricanes... Odds are about the same as far as West coast East coast. But, the odds that one will be here at the same place you are at the same time you are is veeeeeery small. Though, Jul/Aug is in hurricane season, so it is possible.

Some places you may want to look into on the beaches....

On Clearwater Beach, the Sandpearl Resort, Hilton, Hyatt, Pier House 60 Marina Hotel. Easy walk to everything from these, restaurants, bars, shops, Pier 60, marina, activities etc etc.

On St. Pete Beach, the Tradewinds is a very popular place for families.

Edited: 8:07 am, April 08, 2013
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 59
3. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

Clearwater Beach is the best for a family vacation. There is lots to walk around and see and do. The beach is really nice. Fly into Tampa and enjoy the 30 min or so drive over the causeways and bridges to Clearwater. Hilton / Hyatt are good location right on the beach.

That is the rainy / hurricane season but its so completely unpredictable! Could end up being nice - I would expect a few afternoon showers .

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
4. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

I myself prefer the resort islands south of Tampa bay- such as Anna Maria island, and Siesta Key. World class beaches, quaint but upmarket towns. Sarasota is just across the water if for any reason you run out ot things to do (unlikely). These islands are much more my cup of tea than the high rise resorts of Clearwater and St Pete beaches.

I think there is a slightly higher risk of hurricanes in the SE and Keys than the gulf coast, but they can happen anywhere in FL.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 83
5. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

For family visits my vote would go to either Clearwater Beach - or Anna Maria Island. They are my two favorite places in Florida. If you want clean, lovely beaches, great sand, and some things for kids to do - then choose Clearwater Beach. There are restaurants and things to do close by - but the lovely beach is right there when you want to relax - and there are umbrellas and chairs rentals on the beach if you want to be in the shade. It is also a great base if you want to take some day trips.

If you like really laid back and quiet - then Anna Maria is a truly charming island - with lovely soft sand beaches. The pace slows down, with no high rises, and no chain restaurants. It's almost like stepping back in time 30 years - but there won't be as many things to do to keep your children entertained. It doesn't have great proximity to a city center or activities like Clearwater Beach does - and if you want to visit other areas, it just takes longer to get there.

All the beaches in Florida have their own flavor - and everyone has their favorite - so it is really difficult to know which one you would like the best. Whichever one you choose - I hope you have a wonderful holiday ;)

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 59
6. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

Totally agree with LifesABeach!

Saint Pete Beach...
7. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

I live in St.Pete Beach, but have visited all the Gulf Coast beach communities. Each beach and community has it's own personality.

St. Pete Beach has always been known as a family friendly, casual beach, and it would definitely be my choice for a family vacation.

My main reasons for picking St. Pete Beach vs. others is because it's smaller, more manageable, less congested, close to all attractions, close to Tampa and Downtown St. Petersburg, moderately priced, and a completely open access beach (no gates, club memberships, or blocked beach access). A bonus is beautiful Ft. DeSoto State Park 10 minutes away. Ft. DeSoto is over 1,000 acres of trails and beaches, and was voted #1 Beach by Parents Magazine last year.

Many beaches South and Clearwater, North, have been plagued with Red Tide in recent years. Red Tide makes it impossible to enjoy the beach or any any beach activities.

St. Pete Beach hasn't had any Red Tide in 13 years, and remains a beautiful 6 mile crescent of sugar white sand and aqua water.

What ever beach you choose, welcome to Florida, and I'm sure you'll have a great time with your family!

Christina Spencer

Les Clefs d'Or, U.S.A.

8. Re: Flying into Tampa - where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 09, 2014