We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak to Tampa Area

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 1
Amtrak to Tampa Area

I will be arriving in late March for about a week with a wife and 3 kids--2 quick questions. 1) Do I need a car to get to some of the beach front hotels--which ones? are they reasonably priced? Which station? I would rather not but fear being stuck without a car 2) or if I need a car--is there a a Car Rental place near either the Tampa or other Amtrak stations in the area?

Thanks

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 24
1. Re: Amtrak to Tampa Area

Only Amtrak station in the area that I am aware of is on the East side of downtown Tampa. From there to the beaches, it is around a 40 minute drive. Nearest beaches are Clearwater Beach, and St. Pete Beach.

You won't really need a car, say, on Clearwater Beach. You would be able to walk to a good variety of restaurants, shopping, bars, Pier 60, the marina, and all kinds of activities from just about any hotel on the beach. Some more affordable hotels that are in a great walkable area, are the Pier House 60 Marina Hotel, Travelodge, and Magnuson Hotel.

To get from Tampa to the beaches, you could rent a car, or taxi. I am not sure if www.supershuttle.com services the Amtrak station or just the ariports, but you could inquire with them. It is a large shared van shuttle service.

Enterprise has a location near the University Of Tampa on Kennedy Blvd, which is near the West side of downtown Tampa, but not really walkable from the Amtrak station, but they say they will pick you up.

2. Re: Amtrak to Tampa Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 11, 2014