We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fox rent a car - good/ bad

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forest Hills, New...
fox rent a car - good/ bad

From what I read " Advantage " is out any comments on Fox? Thx....

43 replies to this topic
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 62
1. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

I wonder if anyone has ever rented from Fox? I don't recall ever coming across Fox in my search for rentals in Tampa. I have heard of Fox and like most of the cut rate places they seem to have more complaints than the bigger names. A friend rented from Fox in San Francisco a few years ago and did not have any problems, but I don;t know if that means anything.

I googled looking for reviews on Fox Tampa and I couldn't find much. This site had a few reviews and one of the reviewers mentioned looking at Fox on Facebook, so you might want to do that to see if you find anything useful.

openingtimes.co/fox-rent-a-car-tampa-fl

Keep in mind that people who are unhappy are much more likely to write a review than those who did not have a problem.

My suggestion for saving money on car rentals is to check rates often as prices fluctuate. If you get lucky you will find a more reputable company with a comparable rate to Fox at some point. Although car rental prices have been difficult for me in Tampa for the last few years. I don't think I've even been able to score a Priceline low bid in the last few years.

How soon are you traveling?

Forest Hills, New...
2. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

Thx so much pyzrk...traveling to Tampa in late Oct and as mentioned , I will continue to look for sales and hope for comments on Fox Tampa.....Thx again

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
3. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

If Fox has the lowest price now you could book it as a back up, assuming you don't have to pay anything upfront, and keep looking. I often book and cancel a number of times as I find lower rates. Just don't get locked into a pre pay like with Hotwire. When you get closer to your travel date if you find a good pre pay rate by all means jump on it.

There are coupon codes available on the internet too if you look around. Also Costco members report getting good prices thru Costco. I also suggest you join the Alamo Insiders club. It's free, just sign up online. Alamo will give you an Insider discount on any rate, even if you have other coupons.

Happy hunting. I find it can be a lot of work to get a good car rental rate, but I enjoy the fun of the chase.

Edited: 3:17 pm, August 02, 2012
Forest Hills, New...
4. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

Thx again for the info and still hunting!

Ontario Canada
reviews: 2
5. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

I have a backup booking with fox and just found a better deal with Hotwire now cancelling with Fox they are not onsite and read allot of negative reviews, one day I may be forced to use their service and have my own review.

Tampa, Florida...
reviews: 1
6. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

I live in Tampa. The Fox location is a good 10 minute shuttle ride from the airport. Take that into account when you plan on pick up/drop off of the rental car.

Jalalabad...
reviews: 14
7. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

FOX makes the most of the various online booking resources that most people rely on when scheduling a trip. FOX leads customers to believe that they are far cheaper than the competition, and their advertised rates show this. Fox is always the lowest rate when searched on Expedia, but don't believe it.

What they fail to mention is that all of the taxes and airport fee's are removed (hidden) from their advertised price. Your lead to believe that you have paid in full, yet your hit with often hundreds in additional fee's at the counter. If you balk at this and say you wish to cancel, then you lose what you have already paid online.

It would be like booking an airline ticket on Expedia.com, paying the rate you were shown, issued a voucher to hand to the airline when you get to the airport and being told "Oh, this is only for the base rate, you still owe another $400 in taxes and fee's".

Now I think we all can agree that no airline does that, and I can assure you, none of the big name car rental companies do this either (Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, etc.) as I've used all of them.

FOX is running a flim flam scam, and they aren't shy about it. They will blame the misunderstanding on you, or the third party booking company. The fact is, the misunderstanding was intentional, they mislead you to get your business. They will also demand a $300 cash deposit when you pick up your car, and no one I've ever used does that.

They will also charged you a $40 USD "admin" fee each and every time you cross a toll bridge, and this can add hundreds to your bill quickly. They will badger you to buy insurance you do not need (as your own full coverage policy covers rental cars used under 30 days), and they will try their best to convince you that the economy car you reserved, is so tiny and powerless, it likely won't get out of the garage.

If you rent from them, plan on paying double what your quoted, and if you fall for the insurance, upgrade, and toll fee part of the scam, add another thousand to that figure. Then just pray they don't claim you scratched the car.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
8. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

I just did a search on Expedia for a Fox car rental and just like with all the other rental companies there is a base price shown and the total after taxes and fees is listed directly under. That 's on page 1 the price comparison page, then when you hit continue and go to the next page the base price and taxes are broken out again.

You mentioned Expedia, but if you used some off brand reservation site it could be the 3rd party reservation site is to blame.

Tampa, Florida
9. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

I rented a car from Fox in Tampa back in April 2013. They were off site and a bit inconvenient, but I knew this ahead of time. Shuttle arrived within 15 minutes as advertised. We had reserved a standard size, but the ad and reservation we made showed a charger. The desk person explained that this was incorrect, but agreeably gave us the charger anyway. Asked us about insurance, but no hard sell. In and out in about 15 minutes. However, the guy who went to get the charger told us it showed a leak in one of the rear tires and didn't recommend taking it, and it was the only one on the lot. I question the validity of this, but didn't want to take the chance, and we settled on a ford fusion instead. The car was clean, only had 9k miles. We had it for 10 days with no issues, other than the change oil light came on. When we returned the car, we were in and out in 10 minutes with no hassles and there was a shuttle ready to take us to the airport. No extra fees, the reservation price was the price we paid. With regard to the prepaid gas, in my opinion, it was the better option. The price they charged us was 20 cents per gallon less than I saw anywhere in Sarasota. All in all, it was an ok experience.

Edited: 7:35 am, May 23, 2013
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
10. Re: fox rent a car - good/ bad

The problem with prepaying for a tank of gas is that you can not bring the car back empty unless you want to push it from where you run out of gas. You will always have at least a few gallons of gas that you paid for left in the tank when you return the car. And you may have more than a few gallons if you don't plan it real well.

I remember when the rental companies first started that scam it sounded like a good idea. I ended up spending more time trying to figure how to bring the car back empty. Then I was so worried about running out of gas before I got it back that I had to stop to put a few gallons in to make it back to the drop off.

It may be a convenience for anyone who does not want to stop to fill up for gas before returning the car, but it is not a money saver. You will end up paying for the convenience.

Reply to: fox rent a car - good/ bad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted