We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 3
Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

Has anyone dealt with the Advantage Car Rental at Tampa Airport in the last year or so? Any problems? Isn't it off the airport area? How easy was it to use their shuttle or bus? Was the wait long? We are thinking of using it on March 7-17 and my concern is that it is spring break for some people. Will this affect us a great deal in Tampa with car rental?

29 replies to this topic
England UK
reviews: 3
11. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

Glad I read your report as was thinking of using these people. Will stick to Budget where they don't hassle you, the cars are clean and the cars are at the airport so no shuttle to catch.

Plainfield, Indiana
reviews: 5
12. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

TAMPA LOCATION OVERBOOKED!! Car lot was nearly empty except for a handful of cars (maybe 5 cars?). They told us previous renters were late returning their cars, but there's no way THAT MANY people extended their reservations. Simply, they overbooked, so they could rent out what cars they had left at a higher rate. The result was lots and lots of angry customers and waiting in a long line for well over an hour to be told my car wasn't there, that I would have to spend extra money to rent one of their bigger cars or opt to ride the shuttle all the way back to the airport and rent from another company. Not knowing what kind of rate we would get elsewhere and not wanting the hassle of going all the way back to the airport, we opted to pay the extra to rent the lowest class car they had available. The Advantage workers were friendly, but you could tell this happens frequently and everything was rehearsed. In fact, the worker and the shuttle driver admitted it. I met some family for the wedding later that weekend. They also had Advantage reservations and were denied the car they reserved. They went back to the airport and rented through Enterprise, who told them Advantage gives them LOTS of business because of this practice. It's a scam to get their unrentable cars rented out. It's terribly inconvenient and rude to treat customers this way. I will NOT be renting from Advantage again.

Edited: 2:39 pm, January 15, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
13. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

First of all, Most reputable agencies ( I just had the experience at Alamo) will give you a higher category car free if your size isn't in stock.

You chose a Cheap agency with poor reviews- what did you think would happen?

Second, I assume all these posts are brought up by you to complain. you could post your own thread, or even better (as these will soon be on page 10) leave a review? This would be a more permanent 'stain' on their reputation.

Have you written to the company and complained? have you reported them to the airport/BBB/tourist authority?

Plainfield, Indiana
14. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

Yes, most places will upgrade you for free and I have had that done for me through other companies. This is the first experience I've had with a company that didn't. Cheap company or not, it doesn't excuse them to operate this way on a regular basis, hence the warning to others. And yes, I should've checked reviews, but never had a problem with rental companies in the past so I wasn't expecting them to have a nearly empty lot.

As far as leaving a review here, I only see where you can leave reviews for hotels or restaurants, etc, not rental car companies. I did a search on this entire website and this thread came up. Seeing as others were giving their stories, I didn't see how mine was out of place.

Yes, I am leaving feedback in other areas. I use, and like, this site so I contribute here as well.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 63
15. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

I totally agree with you Angie. Amanax must be having a bad day.

It is a shame you did not read about Advantage before you booked, but I usually reserve the cheapest rate I can find and have never had a problem with any other agency like the ones described by you and the many other posters on this forum.

Fortunately being a regular member of this forum I read the reports and knew to avoid Advantage as I was preparing for my upcoming trip. But, I can see how so many other people would be caught unaware.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 63
16. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

Okay, now I see what happened. Sorry amanx, you were obviously reacting to Angie spamming every post about Advantage. Certainly no need for that. I think we got Angie's point after her first post.

Plainfield, Indiana
17. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

Sorry - I didn't mean to spam. Just wanted to make sure the original posters, and those reading them in the future, know that this kind of thing is still happening in case they don't see or bother to read every posting. I'll be more aware of over-posting in the future and perhaps just keep it to a short comment. My apologies.

Columbus, Ohio
18. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

This place is really bad. You are likely only looking at them because they are cheaper than other car rental places and they straight out told me that they are in no way obligated to offer you that price (they pointed out that I didn't have to come to my reservation either). True enough.

As my conversation (I was trying to be diplomatic so they were still acting helpful at this point) went on they told me that they couldn't help me even if they wanted to because they had over 150 reservations for that day (2/14/2013) with only 20 cars scheduled to come in. I'm sure not all 130 showed up but they still screwed up a lot of trips because of their policies.

I spent $85 on a last minute car rental elsewhere (to end my story) for that day alone. If you are looking for a "value company" off the airport EZ car rental has worked for me in the past (I foolishly lumped Advantage into the "off airport companies are okay" experience I had with EZ on this trip).

Either way...after a long flight I'm paying to get a national company on site from now on. I still search for values on vacation but this place is really not worth it.

Tampa fl
reviews: 1
19. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

THIS IS THE WORST CAR RENTAL COMPANY EVER!!!! DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM THEM. The manager of advantage car rental in tampa was a JERK!!! and the place was old and cars not clean. You will regret it if you do rent from them.

Howell, New Jersey...
reviews: 10
20. Re: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport

horrible horrible horrible...as soon as we got there i knew right away this place is a dump! they do a credit check if you dont have a credit card to us..we use our debit/visa for everything! i didnt like that at all...why do a credit check and lower our credit score a few points to rent a car??? not making sense. then they put a 200 hold on our card...hold my butt they charged us 200 bucks in addition to the price of renting the car! and now we have to wait until they decide to reimburse us the 200 bucks back! bad business..the care was full of scratches and dents which we had to inspect the care ourselves and fill out a sheet and draw where all the dents and scratches where! hello dont they have employees for that. never again...and the directions to get back to the rental car place where wrong and we got lost for 1/2 hour and when i called i could tell the lady didnt want to be bothered in helping us get there! horrriblllleeee...never again!

Reply to: Advantage Car Rental at Tampa International Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted