We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
reviews: 34
IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

I normally rent through Priceline when I fly into Tampa. This time I tried an off location car rental agency - Payless Car Rental.

It was a mistake on my part. If you look on google, you can see all of the poor reviews for this rental car company. I have to add my complaint also.

1) The sales person and manager were the rudest service people I have encountered in years.

2) The cars were dirty and dented.

3) When I declined insurance coverage and gasoline package, the salesman tried strong intimidation tactics.

4) After I declined again, I was told that they were going to charge my credit card $250 "deposit" and give me a refund when I returned the car. What a scam!

At that point I walked out of the building, took the shuttle back to the airport and rented from Avis. The people at Avis were polite, professional, and the car was very clean. I paid more, but I was not subjected to such poor behavior.

I understand wanting to save money, but when I cannot trust the rental company , then the headaches outweigh the possible savings.

29 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
reviews: 39
11. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

A year later and just as bad. Do use third party and someone with a better service.

12. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Wow that sounds about right everything down to basically leaving to go to another rental company. Was the sale associate's name Jim perhaps? He was the most disrespectful individual along with many other not so good qualities. My mom booked the rental online prior to our trip today so please read the fine print or call prior to booking. Or better yet please do yourself a favor and book with a more respected car rental company that doesn't jack up the price once you walk through the door then make you feel like a complete idiot. Thanks Payless...you probably should keep your employees because another business would never tolerate treating a customer that way!

Edited: 3:13 pm, April 16, 2013
Troy, Michigan
13. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Tampa Payless Car rental spent a lot of high pressure sales for loss of use insurance. I have rented cars for more than 30 years and it is the worst presentation I ever heard. I strongly suggest you rent from a more major rental company. This smacks of a scam. Companies like this won't let their records out to see if they lost use. Visa will generally cover this type of loss. The pressure was tremendous. No doubt they were much more concerned with losing extra profit from a huge premium than that they might try to charge us this fee.

Tampa
14. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

They attempted insurance fraud they should be charged as criminals an closed immediately

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 2
15. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

The sales staff not only lack integrity but lack any form of manners. They are argumentative and rude. I agree with your review 100%. They are a scam operation. The price I was quoted online and the price they wanted upon my arrival doubled.

SP
reviews: 2
16. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

I was hugely ripped off by this scandalous crew in TPA, with the well-rehearsed "company policy requires this insurance", etc. that mushroomed a $130 total, confirmed, and printed out rate to almost $500.

Take it or drag your family and bags in the Florida heat back to TPA and try renting elsewhere.

Met 3 other "Pay-Less" victims that day.

Same story.

Lakeland, Florida
reviews: 1
17. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

WOW! I am flabergasted at the response I just got from the Tampa location. I called to ask how much their deposit is when using a debit card. I was told $1000 plus the rental. REALLY!!?? I am in the market for a new car, hence the reason I am renting different cars trying them out, why in the heck would I pay a $1000 deposit?!! STUPIDITY!

Greenport, New...
reviews: 9
18. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

I had mixed results using Payless in Tampa last week. When we got to the rental office we were served by a impolite and threatening agent. When we declined coverage, she said we were totally responsible for the car in an accident as well as the loss of rental income while the vehicle was being repaired. We still declined and she still pushed to sell us coverage. The care we received was a Ford Taurus, a little cramped for a full size but mechanically sound.

We brought the car back full of gas as instructed (there is a station several blocks away on N. Westshore Blvd) and were about 45 minutes early fpor the scheduled return time. It was Sunday morning and the lot was not very busy. We were checked in immediately by an efficient, courteous young man. The final price matched exactly the price quoted on line. I have had much worse car rental experiences.

Toronto
reviews: 10
19. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

We just got back from Tampa and used Payless-That was the only bad part of our trip. Everything about it was BAD. We too had clerk named Jim who was just as the other poster said-arrogant and very rude. I should have known because when I walked in he was arguing with another customer. The main contention was the $250 hold on my credit card even though I had my insurance policy he stated-"we do not sell insurance then went on to say how anything I had was no good in Florida. The car that we were given was not what I was told we would have and had damage all over it when I asked him to witness the damage he would not and told me to mark the damage report.

I requested to talk to the manager and he/she was never available.

We will NEVER use Payless and suggest no one else does either

ottawa
reviews: 60
20. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Sometimes its too good to be true. When any car rental company advertises an excessively low rate, like $9.00 a day to rent a car, you know that they are going to have to charge more than that -- they just couldn't stay in business with prices like that. There are reputable places that charge a reasonable price; I stick to the places that tell you up front how much the final price is going to be

Reply to: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted