We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
reviews: 36
IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

I normally rent through Priceline when I fly into Tampa. This time I tried an off location car rental agency - Payless Car Rental.

It was a mistake on my part. If you look on google, you can see all of the poor reviews for this rental car company. I have to add my complaint also.

1) The sales person and manager were the rudest service people I have encountered in years.

2) The cars were dirty and dented.

3) When I declined insurance coverage and gasoline package, the salesman tried strong intimidation tactics.

4) After I declined again, I was told that they were going to charge my credit card $250 "deposit" and give me a refund when I returned the car. What a scam!

At that point I walked out of the building, took the shuttle back to the airport and rented from Avis. The people at Avis were polite, professional, and the car was very clean. I paid more, but I was not subjected to such poor behavior.

I understand wanting to save money, but when I cannot trust the rental company , then the headaches outweigh the possible savings.

40 replies to this topic
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
1. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

I'm not fond of Payless, but I have used them if the price difference is significant enough for me. I bet you can find complaints about every car rental company.

Nashville, Tennessee
2. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Hey all,

We recently returned from Tampa and we used Payless. We were very disappointed with how we were treated. The company is basically a scam. It should be called "Payless, but actually you're going to pay more". I will go into the whole story, but firstly, so you know I'm not biased, while we were waiting for the shuttle, several more people came up and were charged alot more than their quote as well. Then we saw another lady upset at the counter and 3 parties of us all laughed because we all felt the same way. They bank on their cheap prices posted online, NOT on repeat customers. Basically, They run a scam so that if you're waiting to drop off the car 10 minutes and then walk up and you're 10 minutes late, then you're charge for another day. Literally 4 separate people were all mad as we got on the shuttle. They ALL had to pay more than the quoted amount (plus the lady having issues at the counter as we left).

The sales people must work on commission and have ZERO integrity because they basically lied to us. Okay, so "legally" it may have been accurate. But, when someone tells you $3 plus taxes and fees (and doesn't explain those fees). Does that mean $35? I mean how are taxes and fees $32 on $3. Like I said, this place is a scam. PLEASE, I beg of you, do not go here. The price difference is only $2-4 or so from a nice rental agency, that will not scam you. We were scammed out of $35, and we would have been able to save most of that money and also use a company that was a lot more reliable and not such a hassle to get to. Whatever you do.... DO NOT USE PAYLESS.

Edited: 10:42 am, July 09, 2012
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
3. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

If the difference was only $2-4 per day I would definitely suggest going with one of the rental companies that is onsite at the airport.

I have only used Payless when there was a huge difference in price. The quote I got online included taxes and fees, so I had no surprises on my bill. There is no way I would accept any rental agreement from any company without a bottom line, final price including taxes and fees.

I also had read that they give people grief about buying insurance, so I took the extra step of copying my insurance policy to show them I had coverage. When I checked in no one ever asked me for proof of coverage.

Taxes and fees on rental cars are high. That's because some of the fees are a flat X dollars per day, not a percentage of the charge like a sales tax. That's not Payless' fault. Those charges come from the State of Florida and Hillsborough County.

If I was charged an extra day even though I was waiting in line to turn in my car I would dispute the charge with my credit card company. That's just plain wrong. Although I must say as it's worded here the person was waiting in line for 10 minutes and then was told they are 10 minutes late. That means they arrived right at the cutoff time. IMHO that's cutting it too close. Most car rental companies offer a grace period, but I would plan to arrive at least a few minutes early to avoid a late charge.

I really don't like the way Payless operates and I don't like having to take a shuttle to their lot, but if I was faced with a much lower rate at Payless I would reluctantly book with them again. If you do make sure you are prepared. But, really you have to be prepared with any rental car company.

Edited: 11:57 am, July 09, 2012
Kansas City...
4. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

DO NOT USE Payless!!!

1) Over the phone they gave me a total price calculated with the standard rental fee for the car rental, a car seat rental and all taxes figured in. I was also given a confirmation number for my records. The next day when we arrived to pick up the rental the total cost was $40 higher with no explanation. And I also took down the employee's name I spoke with.

2) Upon giving my confirmation number and price I was given the employee's refused to make it right and only offered to have the shuttle drop us back at the airport. Keep in mind it was 11pm at night and I had a 1 year old with me. Going back to the airport to try and find another car rental was not an ideal option. The employee then picked up her cell phone and made a personal call.

3) I called the manager later to discuss and try to work out the situation. He told me there was a mistake in communication between the employee and myself and that the rates will not change. I reminded him that I was the customer and I should be given the car rental at the rate I was told. He then informed me that the customer isn't always right. That was his explanation. He then told me I was being condescending on the phone. Long story short he was unwilling to help me out and insulted me and ended up hanging up the phone on me.

This company operates off scamming customers and on top of that are very rude. Spend the extra with a better company and get exactly what you are told.

Canterbury...
reviews: 18
5. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

We just booked with Payless online....also ordered car rental insurance thru protect your bubble. We're not used to renting cars so I hope that we have no issues.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
6. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Make sure you bring copies of your insurance papers with you. Don't let them talk you into buying extras or upgrading your car and make sure you note any damage on the car before you leave the lot.

As I've noted in previous posts I don't think Payless provides the best service, but I would use them again if the price was right.

Also, if you have a reservation you can cancel I'd keep looking, maybe even bid on Priceline and see if you can get a comparable rate with a rental agency that is in the airport and doesn't require a shuttle. Try Hotwire too.

Canterbury...
7. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Thanks for the tip pryzk....I did check prices via priceline and in terminal prices were awful (hundreds more) I then went to Hotwire and got an in terminal price of $114.99 vs estimated price of Advantage $87.42. Looks like it would be worth paying the $27.00 extra.

However, Hotwire will not let me know what rental company until after I pay, (no refunds) but all they say that the is in terminal at Tampa airport. I've never used Hotwire before.

Canterbury...
8. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

I just booked via Hotwire and ended up with Hertz on location...again, Thank-you

Cancelled with Payless

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
9. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Excellent. I think the extra few dollars will be worth it.

Just a note about Priceline. They have listed prices that are comparable to prices you will find on other websites for car rentals, flights and hotels too. But in addition, Priceline also has a "name your own price option", which is like a bidding process. You name a price and they will see if they can book at your price. If you don't get any takers you can raise your price and rebid. You probably won't find cheaper prices on Priceline unless you do the name your own price option.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
10. Re: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !

Donna if you are from the UK always use a UK broker or a UK website to book your car. It will have insurance cheaper than any from the US site and will be more inclusive.

Even Priceline UK includes insurance in it's rates for UK drivers (as unlike americans our home car insurance doesn't cover other cars incl rentals).

Reply to: IMHO - Don't use Payless Car Rental !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted