We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DC
reviews: 30
tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Just a heads up. Got a credit card charge from rental car company over a month after returning a rental car in FL. Turns out in Tampa on the Selmon Crosstown Expressway, there is now NO way to pay cash for the toll. If you don't have a transponder or a "we bill you" account set up (which I don't believe is possible in a rental situation), your license plate is photographed and the bill sent along to the rental company. (The charge from the rental car company was the $1.50 toll plus a $25 fee) This was assuredly NOT explained to us when renting the car and NOT clearly marked on the expressway.

The Thrify rep said that all of FL is going cashless tolls in the near future. Will have to figure out what to do when next visit to FL comes along.

85 replies to this topic
Cork
reviews: 13
61. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

IT is so easy to find yourself on the road to it using GPS.......we did.

Plant City, Florida
reviews: 5
62. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

GPS always directs you to take the toll even when it's out of your way or doesn't make sense (you're on it for one minute then have to take the next exit). I've learned to map out my route on google maps or mapquest and select the no tolls route.

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 1
63. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

We had the same experience recently at the Selmon Crosstown Expressway, Tampa.

All Hertz rental cars have PlatePass which cannot be disabled. In order not to be charged a $4.95 administrative fee even for the days the pass is not used, you have to pay cash at all tolls.

The scam part is, there is no cash toll for the Tampa Selmon Crosstown Expressway. And there is no sign telling travelers like us there is no cash toll. Once you get on that highway, you are screwed.

In our case, we got on the highway once and the $1 toll turned out to be $1+$15 service charge.

Well played....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
64. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Well. I have to say mostly commuters use the Selmon. I have been living ont he gulf coast, and using TPA for years and have Never used the Selmon expwy. Ever.

So you can get around w/o using it really.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 39
65. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Here is a website telling what each rental company uses:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

I like Alamo. You only pay the fee when you use the toll roads ($2.95 a day) plus the toll.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
reviews: 18
66. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Bill if you're still here (or anyone else who might know):

I'm renting with Alamo in March. If I understand you correctly, if I am on a toll road on, say, Saturday, Tuesday, and Friday, but no other days, then I am charge 2.95X3 plus the tolls? Is that right? Do you have to sign up or otherwise tell them you'll be on toll roads when you arrive? EDIT: Ooops, I did not scroll down far enough on that sunpass.com page. I think that answered that question.

Also, for anyone, I've read that Florida has made it really easy to pick up Sunpasses almost anywhere. Can you get one at the airport?? I was wondering if I could buy one and register it with my smartphone.

Thanks.

Edited: 11:26 am, January 10, 2014
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
67. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

I don't think you can get one there, but you can one at any pharmacy.

You may also be able to call sunpass and order one over the phone and get it delivered to your address?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
reviews: 18
68. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Yeah, I heard about availability in supermarkets and pharmacies, but I was concerned about hitting a toll road right from the airport.

No matter, Alamo's policy looks quite acceptable. I'll just stick with that. Thanks.

Tampa, Florida
69. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

Suppose you'll be over 80 visiting Florida and you don't speak English that well (or even if you do and not over 80) !

First you're hoping not to get a stroke because you had to walk miles on Miami Int. Airport, then put in line for more than 2,5 hours to pass the customs (happened to me 3 times on a 3 time visit). Then walk more miles to find yourself in another cue for another passport check (another hour or so on your 80+ year old feet... and they even don't x-ray all of the incoming luggage, how funny). Then still more walking miles to come before you finally get to the skyliner to the car rentals.

Weeks later at home to be confronted with extra charges and fees from the car rental company because your GPS (if you already could program the d... thing) did send you several times for a few hundred yards over some express way you didn't want to take at all in the first place.

Doesn't all those highways look the same? Yes they do! And actually, as a tourist not knowing your way around and trying to keep an aye on traffic and everything else, I've seen quite some onramps where a dozen signs show up, from which 1 small sign indeed did tell you it's a none cash tollway.... but well, you're on that ramp now...

Good way to treat your tourists Florida. Keep up the good work!

Welcome to Miami!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
70. Re: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash

I fly into TPA international ALL the time (I live in the UK and use BA). I have NEVER had a line that ling for immigration. Never seen lines that long. I am usually out of the airport and in my car in around an hour, sometimes less.

The longest I have been was one sunday where I waited an HOUR for my bag to come off. But I was still out of the airport in abt 1.5 hours over all.

Anyone 80 who doesn't speak or read english should not be driving I think, as they won't be able to read the traffic signs.

I don't think all the highways look the same at all.

And this isn't the Miami forum.

Reply to: tampa cashless tolls-no way to pay in cash
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted