We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Tampa Accommodations

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 4
Safe Tampa Accommodations

I am traveling to Tampa alone in mid March 2006. I am on a bit of a budget and have been researching budget priced hotels. When I find a rate that fits the reviews are usually "in a scary neighborhood" "located downtown not safe" etc. Does anybody know of a reasonably priced hotel/motel in a nice neighborhood?

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 18
1. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

Where do you need to be in Tampa? Areas I find less desireable are East Tampa(along Interstate 4), and Busch Blvd in North Tampa, and the areas around Interstate 275 and Fletcher/Fowler Ave in North Tampa.

Other than those, im not sure what your budget is, but you can look into the Tahitian, Econo Lodge, and Howard Johnson on South Dale Mabry Hwy in South Tampa, La Quinta, Days Inn near the airport/stadium.

I hope this helps!

There is also a great bed and breakfast called Grams Place in Seminole Heights, 2 miles north of downtown.

Sarasota, Florida
reviews: 57
2. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

There are several of the Marriott properties near the airport & International Mall. Prices vary depending on which brand. This is a pleasant area.

York, PA
reviews: 28
3. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

There are several Holiday Inn Expresses in Tampa that are worth checking out, especially the one on North Rocky Point Drive and the one on Gailbraith (off of I-75 at Bruce B. Downs). In case you are not familiar with Holiday Inn Express hotels, they are usually nice hotels (often newer hotels) that are affordable and clean. One thing that I have found to be added bonus to staying at a HIE is the free breakfast, which contains both hot and cold breakfast items as well as the yummy cinnamon buns that the chain is famous for. Other hotels that I would recommend are the Hilton Garden Inn in Temple Terrace, the La Quinta Inn and Suites USF, the Hampton Inn and Suites North (on Hidden River Parkway), and the Hampton Inn near Brandon on Horace Avenue.

Pennsylvania
4. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

Thanks so much to everyone for their very helpful advice. Thanks especially to Tampan as I was leaning towards a motel on East Fletcher Avenue. Is anyone familiar with the neighborhood around the Motel 6 Tampa East Fairgrounds at 6510 US 301? The purpose of my trip is to fulfill a childhood dream of visiting Spring Training sites especially the New York Yankees. I will research the hotels suggested and am looking forward to my visit to Tampa!

reviews: 17
5. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

My husband was working near the airport this past year and we stayed at the Extended Stay Deluxe on Westshore Drive for over 2 months. Nicely furnished, roomy studios with a fully furnished kitchen, lots of amenities, free continental breakfast, exercise room, and a price break if you stay at least 7 days, not to mention a Starbucks across the street! We paid $43 per night, but I know the price is higher during the "season". 2 nice malls within safe walking distance, but I wouldn't walk the streets alone after dark there. I became friends with a number of the guests there, mostly corporate travelers and families in the process of relocating. I would definitely stay there alone and recommend it to others.

However, if this hotel was out of my price range, and I was alone, I would recommend maybe looking across the bay in the St. Petersburg area by the waterfront. Nice area with lots to do.

reviews: 17
6. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

I just read your follow up post, and I have to advise you, be careful! When we first arrived in Tampa, my husband and I spent 1 night at a hotel on E Fowler--which is 1 street over, parallel to E. Fletcher. The hotel, Safar Inn, was one of the slimest, filthiest hotels I have ever been in, with druggies and prostitutes all over the hallways and parking lot. We'd have kept driving and only spent the night because: 1) It was 2 am and we were exhausted, 2) I had brought a large assortment of antisceptic cleaning products, bedding and towels along, and used them all!, and, 3) I have a really big, scary looking husband. Truthfully, I would never stay in that area alone, and it was frightening even for the few short hours I spent there with my husband.

Isn't the Yankee's spring training camp closer to the airport anyway?

You may also wish to consider the Suburban Extended Stay on Hillsborough Ave., which is also close to the airport.I looked at the rooms there and they are clean, nicely furnished, and also have a full kitchen if you are looking to save some money. We'd have stayed there as they were a good $15 cheaper per night than the Extended Stay Deluxe but they didn't accept pets and we brought our cat. Hillsborough Ave is a busy 4 lane street, but I would feel safe staying there alone.

Best of luck! Enjoy your trip!

Pennsylvania
7. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

Thanks again everyone. This is great advice and I appreciate your guidance. Can't wait to get there!!

Temple Terrace, Fl
reviews: 7
8. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

I would not stay at the Motel 6. Spring training is right across the street from the Bucs stadium on Dale Mabry. I would look for something close by on Dale Mabry between Hillsborough Avenue and Martin Luther King. There is a holiday Inn nearby I think. Also Feltcher Avenue is too far away and some parts are rather seedy just like some parts of Fowler Ave.

chicago,il
reviews: 5
9. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

Is the former holiday inn busch gardens on 2107 fowler a bad area to stay. The hotel recently is sold and is now tampa hotel busch gardens. We are staying one night after our cruise. What might a taxi cost to airport from hotel?

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 31
10. Re: Safe Tampa Accommodations

For anyone going to spring training, or wanting to be near the airport and on a budget, I'd suggest any of the hotels listed on Rocky Point. It's about 5 minutes to the airport and all are on Tampa Bay so they have pretty nice views to boot: Sailport, Residence Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Doubletree...off the top of my head. It is a nice area, yet those hotels are relatively inexpensive.