We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Rent-A-Car

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 14
Advantage Rent-A-Car

Been checking out car rentals from Tampa Int'l Airport ... Advantage Rent A Car comes up with best prices but there are such mixed reviews. Has anyone rented from them lately?

154 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 28
91. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

Totally agree about them running a scam & should be call DisAdvantage, that is so true !!!!!

Edited: 11:14 am, March 21, 2013
Arizona
reviews: 5
92. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I had a very demeaning & unfriendly experience in Seattle. Making a reservation for an economy car, I arrived and received the typical attempt to upsell for ONLY $20 more per day. I declined and said the economy car would be fine. The very friendly agent (tall redhead) turned surly and unfriendly, intimating I didnt know what I was in for. Then she tried to upsell for ONLY $10 per day extra. I again declined. Then, growing even more unfriendly, asked me to purchase insurance. No was the reply...then the attempt to pre pay for gas...no thanks was my reply. At this point, I wasnt going to buy anything else from her. She basically told me I didnt' know what I was doing because it was much cheaper this way. Seriously...you're going to tell a well traveled older woman that she's fairly stupid in your own inimitably rude manner and hope I would ever be an advantage client again...Not one chance. She then barely could spit out where I went to pick up my car and as such, I dragged my luggage to a couple of different levels of the garage. Never again. The car was fine - the service is incredibly rude and beyond acceptance. I'd write the head office but have read on Consumer Union that they dont even give a rip!!!! from others who have done so. There is a company by the name of Ajax in Seattle near the airport. They will come and get you - albeit, they're not located in the newest facility...but they're polite, efficient and have lots of cars...I suggest you go there.

Arizona
reviews: 5
93. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

See my posting below under Mary Horn (former married name). My car was fine in Seattle, the experience of renting was hideous.

Scarsdale, New York
reviews: 2
94. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I rented from them in Orlando FL last week (March 23-30 2013) and found them to be pretty good. They are not on the terminal and we had to wait 15 minutes for the shuttle to the off-airport location (10 minute drive at most). Once there I got my car pretty quickly and it was the one I had booked. The people were very nice. Only one hitch - the agent told me the wrong space # and the wrong brand of car. Not a huge problem, but a little annoying. It was by far the best price available for the time of year and I figure that I saved at least $200 renting from them. I would rent from them again.

Powder Springs...
95. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

Do not rent from this company. I prepaid for a car online with a credit card that I never use that only had a tiny credit limit on it. I did this to save some money. When I got to the SLC counter, they wanted a deposit. I gave them my normal credit card that I use and they would not take it. I was told that the deposit had to be on the same credit card as the rental. The manager was not helpful, nor was no-customer service. They would not refund my charges of $155 because I had pre-paid for the rental and I did not cancel the reservation 24 hrs before. I was SOL. They told me I had to make another reservation if I wanted a car. There was no way I was giving them one more dime. I went to Fox Car Rental to get a car and they were amazing. They had me in and out in less than 10 minutes. This is who I will rent from for now on. Save yourself all the headache and skip Advantage Car Rental.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
96. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

Rls2009.......You complain about the need to pay a deposit. You complain about the fact that the reservation was non-refundable. You complain about the requirement to present the credit card used to pre-pay. Had you read the very first paragraph of the T&Cs of pre=pay rates you would have been aware of all the things you complain about. This is what you see when making a pre-pay booking....

When you pay in advance for your qualified reservation, your Pay Now discount will automatically be applied to your rate. Your credit card will be charged at the time of booking. Modifications and/or cancellation fees will apply.

•For prepaid reservations Advantage accepts the following forms of payments: American Express / Mastercard /Discover / Visa / Bankamericard / Optima Amex. Credit cards must have the available credit for the estimated amount of rental charges plus up to $200 in order to secure the rental. Please note that at the time of rental you will need to present 1) a current driver license and 2) a valid credit or charge card in the renter’s name. You must provide the credit card that you used when making this reservation.***

All car companies have rules, terms, and conditions that are much the same. You failed to be aware of the requirements. Advantage offered the information for you to read. You failed to read it.

Edited: 10:54 am, May 11, 2013
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
97. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

What you say may be true Hawkeye, but from everything I read on this forum Advantage in Tampa still sucks.

There have been so many stories about people showing up and there are no cars available. Had Rls presented the credit card they would have probably said, so sorry you paid in advance, but we don't have a car for you. Come back tomorrow. We'll send you a refund of what you paid for today.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
98. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I have said before I would avoid and do not recommend the Advantage office at TPA. Something must be seriously wrong at that office. I use them at other airports without problems.

Rls2009 rented from SLC not TPA.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
99. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

Oh, I forgot the Tampa forum seems to be the dumping ground for all posts about Advantage.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 15
100. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

This is a warning to stay away from advantage rent a car. We rented a car in Orlando from the MCO location. While the car was fine and the rates were cheaper than many other rental car places I had charges posted to my credit card a month after we had dropped the car off for various fees that I did not agree to and that no one at the customer care line could explain to me. I attempted to get in touch with the Orlando office where we rented to no avail, nobody answered my calls, returned my emails, or called me back, and the toll free customer care number cannot to anything about billing or charges, they could not even see the charges that were put through to my card. I ended up having to cancel my credit card to avoid more charges being put through. AVOID THIS PLACE!!! It is not worth the hassle months afterwards to try and figure out how/why they are still charging random fees!

Reply to: Advantage Rent-A-Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted