We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Rent-A-Car

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 14
Advantage Rent-A-Car

Been checking out car rentals from Tampa Int'l Airport ... Advantage Rent A Car comes up with best prices but there are such mixed reviews. Has anyone rented from them lately?

159 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 28
1. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I've rented from them in SA & had lots of problems when it came to billing. I personally wouldn't use them.

Oregon
reviews: 14
2. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

It would appear that is the same consensus anywhere with Advantage. When I looked for contact information on them in the Tampa area I couldn't find anything ... that alone made us decide not to go with them. Thanks for the input.

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I currently have a rental from Advantage and it is my second time using them. The staff was very friendly everytime Ive been there. They have the lowest deposit requirement of all of the agencies ($140) and lowest rates. I would highly recommend them.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
4. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

Keylo,

and you joined today just to tell us how much you like your rental? On vacation?

I'm not buying what you are selling here.

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 1
5. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I'm inclined to agree here ... good thing our visitors have several alternatives.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 28
6. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I also have to agree with amanx & they show being from Tampa. I think it's someone that works there.

Iowa
reviews: 32
7. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

I stumbled across this thread looking for another. Even though it's a week and a half old I will reply.

I have used Advantage many times. LAS, MCO, FLL are a few. Never at Tampa. They are usually the cheapest. Cars and staff at these three locations have been as good as any other. I have used Thrifty in Florida also and find there is really no difference.

Contact information is available on their website for all their locations.

Victoria, BC
reviews: 13
8. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

We have rented a car from Advantage Tampa for 4 weeks. It was much cheaper than anywhere else we could find. I too was concerned about all the bad reviews that this company has received around the US. We went there with another car, so we weren't forced to take a deal we didn't want. To our surprise, the service was excellent and the deal was exactly as we reserved (a camry for $100/week). We will come back for sure. No - I don't work there!

Oak Creek, Wisconsin
9. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

We just rented from Advantage in Tampa from 1/6 to 1/6 and would never rent from them again. Reserved on line because they had the lowest rates but felt like they wanted to do a bait and switch. We waited over 30 minutes for the shuttle from the airport. The counter person was very pushy trying to sell upgrades to everyone. Was especially pushy on the extra insurance which was $15.99/day. When we told him we didn't want it he offered it for $13.99/day since we were first-time customers. We were told we would not be fully covered unless we had our own auto policy with 2 of the big national insurance companies.I subsequently checked with our agent our told us that was not true. Couldn't believe that they wanted to charge an additional $10/day if we had a 2nd driver. The car was a high miler and had dings and scratches on all of the doors, rear bumper and all quarter panels. Car was not clean inside or out. Have never before been asked to fill out a report at the time of rental on the condition of the car.There were 4 other customers there at the time and none of them looked happy with their experience. On our return shuttle ride talked to another couple who were also very unhappy with their rental experience and told us that they overheard the counter person tell another customer "If you don't like it why don't you just go rent a car someplace else". The only way we kept the price we booked online was by refusing all of the insurance,upgrades and extra driver charge. If we had added all of that it would have nearly doubled what we expected to pay. If we were going to pay that much we would have gone with a company that is onsite at Tampa Airport and not messed with the shuttle hassle.

Iowa
reviews: 32
10. Re: Advantage Rent-A-Car

Welcome to TA.

All rental counters try to upsell. You should have checked with your insurance before you got to the counter. You were unprepared possibly?

<<<<<< Have never before been asked to fill out a report at the time of rental on the condition of the car.

A report? Making a few marks on a picture is not a 'report' This very small piece of paper has a picture of a car and you need to note any damage, scratches, etc. before you leave with the car. You keep a copy and they keep a copy. It's a great way to prove you did not cause damage. Takes about as long to complete as it takes to walk around the car.

<<<<<<<Couldn't believe that they wanted to charge an additional $10/day if we had a 2nd driver.

You knew this when you booked the car online. Why be surprised now?

Was this your first car rental?

Edited: 10:32 pm, January 17, 2012
Reply to: Advantage Rent-A-Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted