We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know about the dog races?

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, SC
reviews: 1
Anyone know about the dog races?

Has anyone gone to the dog races in St. Petersburg? We're staying in Indian Rocks and are looking for some fun things to do at night. Other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tampa
reviews: 2
1. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

Yes, Derby Lanes is a good time out. I definitely recommend getting a table for dinner (versus just standing down by the tracks). The restaurant overlooks the track and there are TVs at each table (if i remember correctly).

I would also recommend Bay Walk in downtown St. Petersburg (www.baywalkstpete.com) for some nightlife. There have been great improvements to downtown St. Pete in the past few years.

The Pier is also a neat place to walk around, shop, eat and drink, day or night (www.stpetepier.com).

Have fun!

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 18
2. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

The Dog Track is fun, check out downtown St. Pete, Eat at the Salt Rock Grill over in Indian Rocks Beach, check out Johns Pass in Maderia Beach, go to The Hurricane for a cocktail in St. Pete Beach.

texas
reviews: 6
3. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

really try to discourage any kind of dog racing- the industry is full of abuses and corruption, it's not cute....

look on the web for some of the horror stories, or try peta.org---better yet, go adopt an abused greyhound, or contribute to a rescue group.

texas
4. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

it's www.greyhoundracingsucks.com

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
reviews: 84
5. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

i used to love dog races, and am a dog lover. that is why i can no longer attend this exploiting, abusive "entertainment". the dogs are kept in cages, and treated like the pawns they are. if we only stop to think, and look at them.....it may be fun for us, but at what expense?

texas
6. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

exactly. go to a greyhound rescue club adoption day at a local pet store like petsmart. you'll see what kind of horror stories are out there..it's not a bunch of fast dogs chasing a fluffy bunny for sport.

chicaqo
reviews: 1
7. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

I agree with all the above posts. I have adopted a greyhound from the track. (what a sweet girl she is!)

It is a disgrace in this country that the dog owners are allowed to starve, beat and kill these poor dogs that can't race.

Please try to find something more humane to support for your entertainment.

Thank You

Florida
8. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

Disregard the hysterics of the above ideological dupes and have a great time at the track. Shutting down dog racing is just one item of the agenda of "total animal liberation" that these "animal rights" activists are pursuing (eventually extending to "liberating" your pets) and, as usual, they take a small amount of factual information and distort it to make it seem like widespread institutionalized abuse in order to fool people into supporting their goals.

The other above suggestions are good too but as my restaurant pick I would suggest the Red Mesa for some great Mexican/Southwestern fusion cuisine. It's not your father's Mexican food.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
reviews: 84
9. Re: Anyone know about the dog races?

I have two dogs and two cats, and I believe that domesticated animals enjoy cohabitating with their people. they are not caged, they are exercised to their hearts' content, treated to lots of attention, and treated with the respect all living creatures deserve. dogs that race are not treated with respect, spend unreasonable amounts of time in cages, and do not live as part of a family, which is natural for social animals. i loved the dog races--it was fun--but at what cost? i am not an extremist. i just won't let my conscience sleep while i have fun. we used to let lions attack people in the colliseum, and found that entertaining too. i sleep better at night knowing i do not support the exploitation of man's best friend.