We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair-Bound Man Who Sold Newspapers Gov Square Mall--19

Which Tallahassee hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tallahassee, Florida
reviews: 12
Wheelchair-Bound Man Who Sold Newspapers Gov Square Mall--19

This really isn't a travel-related question, just about Tallahssee:

ck in the mid-80s, there was a young man in a motorized wheelchair who sold the Tallahassee Democrat as he drove through Governor's Square Mall. Being from out of town myself, I usually encountered him on weekends on my shopping trips. He was a fixture there for some years.

He was maybe mid-twenties, black hair and bearded back then, possibly his disability was cerebral palsy, but don't know that for certain.

Anyway, I'd always buy a newsppaper from him. But after a few years, I no longer saw him at the Mall and have always wondered who he was and what became of him.

Does anyone remember this young man? And know what became of him? It has bothered me for years that I thought he'd always be there selling those newspapers and then he was just gone.

Thanks for any information.

Tallahassee
1. Re: Wheelchair-Bound Man Who Sold Newspapers Gov Square Mall--19

Wow. I do remember him but had completely forgotten until I read your post. And I agree, he did appear to have cerebral palsey. I have no idea what became of him. Perhaps someone at the Democrat would know. I did a quick google search and found this from 2009: fsunews.com/article/…Walter-s-new-wheelchair

Not sure if it is the same person but chances are it is. I will post again if I can find out more.

Edited: 8:48 pm, June 11, 2012
Tallahassee, Florida
reviews: 12
2. Re: Wheelchair-Bound Man Who Sold Newspapers Gov Square Mall--19

Thanks---that sure sounds like the same guy. I don't do Facebook--can you see if this FSU student got him the new wheelchair? I'll have to contact the Democrat to see if someone can verify Walter is the same newspaper seller I remember from the Mall in the '80s. Sure sounds like it though.

Anyway, it's good to know he's still around all these years later. It's probably been twenty five year since I last bought a paper from him at Governor's Square. I'm glad you have a good memory!

Tallahassee
3. Re: Wheelchair-Bound Man Who Sold Newspapers Gov Square Mall--19

I tried to see if I could find the facebook page but could not. (Of course I am far from a facebook pro.) Since the article is a couple of years old, the page may not be up anymore.

You have gotten me curious. I may ask a few friends if they remember him to see if anyone knows where he is now. I will post if I find out anything.

I got to visit your fair city last fall for the Kentucky game. What a lovely place and beautiful campus. We stayed at the Georgia center (Or as my husband still says, the "contin building.") Had a great time.

4. Re: Wheelchair-Bound Man Who Sold Newspapers Gov Square Mall--19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 20, 2013