We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single (Straight) guy traveling Solo to South Beach?

Which South Miami hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bayside, New York
Single (Straight) guy traveling Solo to South Beach?

None of my friends could get away and since I am long overdue for vacation, decided to book 4 days in South Beach from August 25,2013 to August 29th, 2013. I have never traveled solo before, so will admit that it is a bit anxiety provoking.

Was looking for someplace relaxing, near the beach and without a ton of couples/honeymooners and place where I could meet some single women.

I am white, 37, not into the club scene, but ok with the bar/lounge scene as far as nightlife.

When I told some people that I was going to South Beach, I got a lot of comments from friends/family that it was a bad move.. partially because SOBE has a very large gay community and it is not the place for a single straight guy to go alone (unless I was open to changing teams so to speak).

I have no interest in changing teams, so wondering if this was a bad choice as far as a vacation spot???

I was going to do some tour things by day (Miami tour, Everglades Tour, maybe a walking tour) and relax at the pool/beach.

At night, really have no clue yet.... .

So

A) Single Straight guy traveling solo to South Beach? I have cancellation insurance.. Should I be using it? Or are family/friends comments off the mark?

B) If I go through with the trip, any suggestions on places to go to meet other single/straight women?

Thanks very much!

1. Re: Single (Straight) guy traveling Solo to South Beach?

Wow I can't believe you are actually worried about ur trip instead of jumping up and down and lighting a candle at the nearest church to thank god for ur luck lol...Yes there are lots of gay guys in miami beach...And Latinos ..and frenchies..and old retired ppl..ans hustlers etc..U get my point right? There's a little bit of everything and everybody from everywhere down here!!! You will be just fine dude!!!! Couple of things u should know..tips are included in most of the bars,restaurants and clubs so u might wanna check ur bill before coughing up an extra 20./. tip... Also life IS expensive in south beach.. A vodka red bull will probably be in the $15-$25 depending on the venue..no need to argue with the bartender .. He has heard it all !

Have fun and if u have any questions feel free to email me

Bayside, New York
2. Re: Single (Straight) guy traveling Solo to South Beach?

Thanks very much Fatine! Any specific lounges that you can recommend?

3. Re: Single (Straight) guy traveling Solo to South Beach?

Hey there

I would suggest the Delano...SLS..and Fontainebleau maybe? These are some of the nicest hotels on the beach...Nice lounges and the clientele won't be trashy let's say....!

Couple of local joints now....Purdy lounge on purdy avenue ( u need to cab it ..kind of hidden !)..no dress code whatsoever and decent prices..

Irish pub on Washington and 13..very local...but also ur typical Irish bar tho...Nothing special there!

Dewey's on Alton and 9th...local spot..

Meeting girls won't be an issue that's for sure....Now do not make the commun mistake of thinking that THAT gorgeous model like 21 one year old girl who didn't even hesitate when u mentionned going back to ur hotel...Is in it for a hook up lol....You WILL get robbed ..!!!!

Have fun and once again let me know if u have any more questions !!!!!

Fatine

4. Re: Single (Straight) guy traveling Solo to South Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, March 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about South Miami
More South Miami Topics