We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet ski on the beach?

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naperville
reviews: 46
Jet ski on the beach?

I should ask the rental people but anyone familiar with rules & regulations concerning jet skies allowed to come on to the beach?

TO
reviews: 9
1. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

I can't provide you with the actual bylaws, but you should know that many people swim quite far out in the shallow water of Siesta Key, including many young children.

In my opinion, it is highly inappropriate and dangerous for people on jet skis to venture on to the beach. Jet skiiers have the whole Gulf of Mexico. Please leave the beach for the swimmers.

Naperville
2. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

I understand your concerns and we are very aware of dangers of being in the area where swimmers are. We would only come to the beach to drop off or pick up a passenger then head out to appropriate areas. I'll ask the rental companies that allow their rentals to go out into the gulf. We will be staying on the northern end in a less crowded area I believe. I'll assess the area when we get there before renting them. We'll rent a boat if the area is not right for skiing.

Boston...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

put a muffler on it too ;)) ha ha couldn't resist

TO
4. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

How far north are you staying? Anywhere from the public beach to Point of Rocks is an inappropriate place to come ashore, in my opinion. Many families chose Siesta Key because it is an excellent place for young children, is quiet and relaxing. Having to be "on guard" for jet skis coming ashore, regardless of how responsible or not the operator is, not to mention the noise is real drag.

I understand that people may want to switch passengers, but I believe the dock where the jet ski is rented from is a good place to do this. Jet skis and swimmers don't mix.

buffalo,ny
reviews: 3
5. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

we vacation every year during high time around Easter. Last year there were 2 jet skiers coming right up on the beach near Horizons West. they were exchanging passengers. They were privately owned and a few kids asked if they could pay for rides!! No one seemed to mind that they were there, they kept themselves farther out that the sand bar and were respectful of the swimmers. Have to admit, my kids were jealous! Be respectful, safe and have a great time!

Naperville
6. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

We're staying at Sandbox on the Beach which is as north as you can get so we should be clear of the public beach crowd. Staying a week and renting jet skies for one day, a boat for one day, and paddle boards for a day too. Probably use the boat to access the Point of Rocks for some snorkeling.

TO
7. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

@beachrelief: I appreciate the fact that your kids would like to jet ski, however, "No one seemed to mind that they were there"...having stayed next door at Casa Mar several times, I can assure you that I have often been annoyed at the noise of jet skis, not to mention the risk they sometimes pose.

You wouldn't know if I minded because there is no forum for me to say "hey, you're disturbing my beach experience" without getting into it, which I am averse to doing when I am on holiday to relax. I know that there are responsible people who operate jet skis, such as the OP, but one week, I went out to buy ear plugs as there was constant jet skis zooming around and coming to the shore over and over again. It really interfered with my enjoyment of the beach. Further, two years ago I witnessed two jet skis crash into each other right in front of our property (not Casa Mar this time). They had the whole Gulf of Mexico, but no, they had to crash into each other. It was a miracle that they weren't more seriously injured than they were.

buffalo,ny
reviews: 3
8. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with jet skiers, that must have been unpleasant for you. We didn't have all day/ all week jet skier traffic and they were polite and cautious when we saw them. I can only speak from my experiences there over the years so I can not possibly speak for everyone, hopefully you won't have any future negative run ins with jet skiers. No worries. :)

reviews: 1
9. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

For those jet ski haters, stop being so dramatic. They aren't that noisy. We are allowed to have fun and partake in the beauty of siesta too. Don't be jealous because you don't have one.

TO
10. Re: Jet ski on the beach?

Pulmnurse, might I suggest that you read the posts more carefully. The point is about not infringing upon the rights or safety of others, not "hating" jet skis or "jealousy" over not having one. I'm fairly confident that anyone who stays on Siesta Key is capable of renting a jet ski.