We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

One thing I have to do on our upcoming holiday to Siesta Key is to search for some sharks teeth. I have read that Venice beach is the best place to do this. I think it would be so much fun to rent the sifter contraptions and then have a fun afternoon doing this.

IS Venice beach still the best place to do this or can someone reccommend somewhere else in the area taht would be better?

Thank you

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
reviews: 84
1. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

we always went to casperson beach, down by venice pier, near venice airport. i don't know how the hurricanes have affected things though, as I haven't been since before last year's hurricanes.....but when we went there, we could always find them. if you grab a handful (or sifterfull) of sand/shells, and dump it on the beach , and look through it , look for small black triangles. the teeth are black, and fossilized. have fun!

Southwest Florida
reviews: 64
2. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

Venice beach is definately the place to find fossilized shark teeth. Exactly right - they are triangular and brownish ir black. Some folks go to target as get a spagetti strainer which makes the hunting a little easier (but in my view more "industrial" and less fun) We've gotten quite a few on Long Boat Key and Anna Maria recently - I think because of the storm.

"newer" shark teeth can be found on the beach by Boca Grande and Manasota Key. Look just after high tide, especially after a front or storm moves through. You can also get"newer" teeth from the charter boat captains. They usually get a few shark when they go out and would have no problem giving them up to some kids.

Sand Dollars and large shells are also coming in, I think because of the storm as well. I've gotten some very large coquina shells that washed up within the last week. That usually means that there are more just off-shore.

see you at the beach..

Palm Harbor, FL
reviews: 13
3. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

We have been going to Venice Beach for the past few years to look for sharks teeth. A few weeks ago we went (Casperson Beach) and hardly found any. We spoke to someone there who advised due to recent beach renourishment the sharks teeth were not as plentiful as they've been in the past. In the past we've had some luck at the extreme north end of Longboat Key.

4. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

Thank you for all theinfo. I think we will pick up a couple of strainers once we arrive in Siesta Key and plan to spend a day inthe Venice Beach area.

1. Is Venice Beach one strip beach of beach or is their a specific beach area we should go to?

2. Also is there a restaurant with an outside section where we can have lunch (preferably with some island music playing) and let the kids play on Venice beach?

3. Is there a public playground any where on the beach?

4. Also, how long of a drive is it from Siesta Key (near stickney point bridge) to Venice Beach.

I have never been to Venice /Siesta beach areas so any ideas would be helpful.

Sorry so many questions.

Suzy V.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
reviews: 84
5. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

venice beaches are not as nice as siesta. sharky's is on casperson beach--a restaurant on a pier, with a beach below, but it is not a white sandy beach...

Palm Harbor, FL
reviews: 13
6. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

If I had to guess I would say about 1/2 hour drive from Siesta to Venice depending on traffic.

As noted by previous poster Sharky's on Venice beach sounds like the type of restaurant you are looking for. Casual outdoor beachfront setting. Last time we ate there we though the food was okay, but not spectacular.

Caspersen beach is all the way at the end as you are driving out along Venice Beach. There are several places you can stop along the way that have public parking & beach access or you can go all the way to the end. I'm pretty sure one of beach access areas did have a little public playground. These areas are all easily visible from the road. Hope this helps!

7. Re: Best place to find sharks teeth in and around Siesta Key?

Thanks for all the info.

We will definately spend a day at the Venice Beach area searching for sharks teeth. And then finish the day off by an early dinner at Sharkys at the pier. I looked at their web site it looks like the kind of place we will really enjoy.

Thank you again for all the input.

Suzy

Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key