We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

Which Sebring hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centreville...
reviews: 4
Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

We are planning a trip to FL in next couple weeks but have no good ideas on where to stay or what to look at for nice places to retire. We have seen The Villages and Orlando area and want to explore more. Could be Central FL or near the Gulf coast. We would like to end up in a friendly community and a nice single family house $350k or under. Right now though we need suggestions on where to stay and a recommended area or two to look at. All suggestions welcome.. thanks in advance

Orlando
reviews: 2
1. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

Unfortunately, I don't know any mind readers on the forum. Knowing your specific interests might help when asking questions about such a large area. There are lots and lots of communities under $350K.

Clearwater, Florida
Destination Expert
for Clearwater
reviews: 24
2. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

Sun City Center is another retiree area SE of Tampa. A retirement community like 'The Villages'. Other than that, there is just millions of options. 350 will get you a veeeery nice single family house.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
reviews: 22
3. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

The problem you will find is this is peak Snowbird season when renters come down from the northern USa and Canada in their drives. So accomodation is scarce if you are looking to rent. You may end up in motels and visiting different areas. Then you need to come back for a week or more in both July and Dec/January to 'road test' a few different areas to see how you like them in and out of season. Then stay at least a month in your chosen area before you make up your mind.

Then I'd rent for a time (3-6 months) before buying to road test further.

Have a look at St Pete, Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice, Englewood/Rotonda. Lots like the Villages, but if and when I retire I want to be in a mixed community- not just retired folks so I would not choose there.

Relocation threads aren't really allowed here so don't be surprised if you get closed down. Try Citydata.

Florida
reviews: 28
4. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

I would suggest: Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Sanibel, Venice, Sarasota, Anna Maria Island if you are looking for coastal/beach communities. Inland, closer to Orlando and other than The Villages: we love Mt. Dora, Travares, Howey in the Hills. Also, for inland: San Antonio, Dade City areas. Just a few suggestions off the top of my head!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 23
5. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

"Lots like the Villages, but if and when I retire I want to be in a mixed community- not just retired folks so I would not choose there."

Add to that "politically mixed" not all far right-wing zealots. Thew Villages have that reputation.

Boston...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

Isn't San Antonio in Texas?

And is there actually a place called Howey in The Hills? I don't think I could have that as my address

Florida
reviews: 28
7. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

There is also a San Antonio, FL located north of Tampa, and yes, there is a Howey in the Hills which is inland, close to Mt. Dora and the Orlando area!

8. Re: Looking for a place to retire in Central or Gulf coast FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:11 am, January 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sebring