We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few comments on restaurants and thanks to Tourmaline

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 53
A few comments on restaurants and thanks to Tourmaline

We are on holiday from London and after having read lots of Tourmaline's restaurant recommendations we printed them off and worked through them-they were extremely accurate so thanks for that .We didn't find any gourmet dining but the postings warned us about that .A few comments on our experiences:

Island Cow-just as Tourmaline described on a par with a good TGI Fridays-stick to simple choices-i had some very good Grouper-my wife had shrimp stuffed with crabmeat that she didn't like .

Doc Fords-mainly barfood-the appetiser portions were enormous

Mucky Duck Pub-we went for lunch rather than dinner .Crab cakes were good and my wife's key lime pie was excellent .Worth it for the views alone-plus unlike Sanibel no smelly red tide and weed on beach .

Schnappers Hot dogs-liked them so much we went back twice.

Lazy Flamingo-a world record in eating speed-in and out in 40 minutes and that was us trying to slow things down .I know that Europeans tend to linger over meals a little longer but the speed at which they got us out of the door was a bit of a joke .No coffee as the coffee machine was broken.Had very good Mesquite Grouper salad .

Twilight Cafe-a word of warning Tourmaline-we tried to go here for a bit more fancy dining only to find it had changed to Red Fish Blue Fish.We didn't like the look of the menu so came away -there was a lot of confusion with a lot of people who had made reservations for Twilight turning round and walking away once they realised it had changed.

Timbers-nice fish restaurant -but there the nightmare began ! we sat outside for 20 mins waiting for a table -if anyone reads this don't make that mistake-only when we got back that night did we discover the bug bites .I look as if I've caught smallpox and have spent 2 days tearing my skin off .Are they the famous No see ums ? As an aside the food was quite good.

Traders-probably the nicest meal we had on Sanibel-I had telapia (? ) -never heard of that fish before but it was very good along with coconut rice . My wife had sea bass with risotto which was also very good The service was very slow but after our experience at the Lazy Flamingo it was quite welcome .

Bubble Room at Captiva-took the record for the worst meal on vacation.My wife and daughter (being sensible as they pointed out to me ) stuck to burgers which were good .I had Higgledy Piggledy which was pork covered in a glutinous clawing sauce that was so sweet it took away the entire taste of the meat .The key Lime Pie was not very nice-nowhere near as good as that at the Mucky Duck.

The Bakery
1. Re: A few comments on restaurants and thanks to Tourmaline

Sorry you missed Grandma Dot's. They serve a good grilled grouper.

Alas, Bubble Room has become a rather poor imitation of what it used to be.

Twilight Cafe caught everyone by surprise. Absolutely no warning! Not fond of Tapas myself.

The red drift algae really came in with the tide when the winds kicked up and messed up some beaches badly.

Hope you had a good time regardless!

2. Re: A few comments on restaurants and thanks to Tourmaline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 22, 2009