We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Hi all,

My fiancé and I just visited sanibel/captiva for the first time last week. We loved it, so beautiful and serene. Very unique, like no place I have ever been before! Anyway, we toured our venue: Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. We loved it, charming cottages, never have to leave the resort. Later that day we went to Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge and that is when I noticed the BUGS! The "noseeums" I assume? We got eaten alive. I am still noticing new, itchy bumps developing on my skin. I didn't notice these bugs at the resort, and am hoping this was just in the refuge because of all the mangrove trees and lack of wind. I am now thinking we should be warning guests to bring bug spray or providing it in our welcome bags. I do not want everyone getting bitten up and not even knowing it until they are covered in welts!! Any advice on this? Other than the bugs we loved the place and all it's natural beauty. I have also enjoyed reading all your posts and trip reports. Makes me that much more excited for our wedding day!

9 replies to this topic
Captiva Island...
Destination Expert
for Captiva Island, Sanibel Island
reviews: 28
1. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Yes, have bug spray available!

Here are some discussions about no see ums, how to avoid getting bit, how to treat bites and itch afterwards!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34481-i768-k71995…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k51328…

2. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Thank you!!

cincinnati
reviews: 42
3. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Bug spray will be a super bonus for your guests.

My wife attracts bugs when i havent seen any for weeks. it's completely inexplicable...but it happens, without fail, wherever we travel. I would assume that folks in her scenario would travel with their own personal arsenal. Many others, like me, wouldn't think twice about packing that.

Those noseeums can be pains in the ... i noticed them for the first time a few weeks ago down there.

Annapolis
reviews: 7
4. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Our daughter is also getting married at beautiful Tween Waters. We plan to put bug towelettes I'm welcome bags as well as have a spray station on the beach before the ceremony

Duluth, Minnesota
reviews: 9
5. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Yes, in my experience there are more noseeums along the wildlife drive than anywhere else on the island, but best to be prepared

Conneaut Lake...
6. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Fantastic idea to put bug repellent in your welcome bags! Congratulations on your pending nuptials!

7. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

When is your daughter getting married? Ours is next April so we have some time still!! Isn't tween waters lovely? I hope you guys have a wonderful wedding there!

8. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

When is your daughter getting married? Ours is next April so we have some time still!! Isn't tween waters lovely? I hope you guys have a wonderful wedding there!

Annapolis
reviews: 7
9. Re: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!

Our daughter is also getting married at beautiful Tween Waters. We plan to put bug towelettes I'm welcome bags as well as have a spray station on the beach before the ceremony

She is getting married in Nivember, 2014 and every time we go there we know her wedding will be wonderful. The event planner is fantastic!!

Reply to: Getting Married Here Next Year: Questions!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted