We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

we had to cut our 1 week vacation on Sanibel island short because of rash on our skin after wading/swimming in Sanibel/Captiva water.

The rash did not appear right away after contact with water but a few days afterwards, until today, 4 days later, I still have a new raised rash come out, sometimes with blister. None of us experienced any respiratory problem but I heard that it come also come one week after the exposure with water contaminted with red algae.

I asked the local and they said it depends of the senstitivity of your skin, so it maybe okay for some people but for me, it is pretty bad.

Better to check the water condition first if you plan to swim in the water. I think they have a website and tel. nr where you can check the status

The Bakery
reviews: 26
1. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

I haven't heard of respitory issues after leaving a red tide area. Usually, if you leave the beach, you leave the problems.

The rash may, or may not, be red tide related. There could also be sea lice in the area - which aren't lice, but a parasite. This is far more usual on the atlantic coast. The rask occurs where the skin is covered by a swimsuit, so it's quite distinctive.

As for a red tide rash, yes. If you are especially senstive, the rash can be a big problem. Regardless, PLEASE call 888-232-8535 and report this to the Florida Dept of Health. It is very important that they be able to identify the beach, dates, etc. so they can track problems.

The offocial report is now the water is clean. That doesn't mean there aren't spot problems.

Lake St. Louis...
2. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

I'm sorry for your rash and having to cut your trip short.

I also developed a rash when the levels were very, very low for Red tide a couple seasons ago. Yes, the irritation is bad! Luckily I had only waded up to my knees and so it was on the lower part of my legs only. I did slightly blister in very tiny blisters.

At the time there were no dead fish and as I said lowest levels in area.

Red tide is nothing to mess with in my honest opinon, if it kills fish, dolphin and manatees........how does it affect us? It's toxic!

Washington DC
3. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

Thanks for your info; it is the red tide and not the parasite. I saw small and big fish dead on the beach and I thought it was the birds that killed the fish...never heard about red tide before. My rash is all over me, including my face. I went to the doctor yesterday and was given a topical antibiotic, but it hasn't got better yet. I took 2 dosages of benadryl, which knocked me out for most of the day and night to counter the itch. How long did it take for your rash to disappear? can't wait for it to go!

The Bakery
4. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

Oh jeez, that sounds bad. Is the rest of the family that way, or are you getting it the worst? I've never had it - touch wood - and I have very sensitive skin. Hope you called the FL BOH and reported this. And I do hope it clears up. I'll leave a message for Steinbecke and ask her to be sure to stop in and maybe she can be of help.

Washington DC
5. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

I reported this to BOH FL yesterday, they took note of it. The rest of the family is getting this rash too but I got it the worst maybe because I stayed in the water longer. Anyone with info that can help me will be appreciated thanks.

The Bakery
6. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

Princess98

There is an article about a different type of algae bloom in spots around Sanibel and Captiva on www.nbc-2.com

Apparently little is known in US about it, but it is known in Australia. Among the symptons:

Some of the symptoms that lyngbya has been known to cause in Australia include:

Swollen mucus membranes

Swollen eyes

Blisters

Rashes

If you experience any of the symptoms after being in the water, the health department suggests that you see a doctor.

I know what was in the article. "Health Department Replies to Sanibel Algae Concerns" Take a look and see if the map with the location dots match up. Maybe it will help the Doctor decide what's best. I guess there's no way to tell and red tide rash from this one. Hope it starts getting soon.

The Bakery
7. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

OK - now another board they are saying the algae is 'normal' and at background levels and there is no scientific proof of any of this. As I said, I know nothing about this except what I've read. Certainly the Lee County Health Department saw no cause for alarm, but then they don't have your rash. They go on to say the water is cleaner than ever at this time.

Politics and emotion paly big roles in these things - especially since this 'blue-green algae' is directly attributed to the Lake O issue. I guess all you can do is gather information for what it's worth and hope your Doctor can sort it out. Feel better soon and let us know what happens.

Washington DC
8. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

I have none of other symptoms except for the rash. My 7 year old daughter had rash in her face on the 2nd day of our stay in Sanibel, I took her to the pharmacy and was told to check for red algae symptom. I went back to the condo where we stayed and checked all info about it in the internet. I found a number to call to check for the status of the water, at that time (July 29th-Aug5th) the water sample collected 1-6 miles on the coast of Lee County including Captiva was low to high for K.brevis (red algae), so there was something in the water during that week. I found lots of marine animals died and decaying on the beach.

My daughter's rash was actually an allergic reaction to the sunscreen lotion, so she didn't have the rash that I have. She doesn't like to go to the water. My rash started to appear 3 days after contact with the water, everyone else in the family who went in the water were having it too, so we decided to leave and spent the rest of our vacation in Orlando. Then the rash was getting worse. The doctor said it was somekind of bactery and gave us a topical for impetigo. The itch was unbearable for 2-3 days and it seems to be better, but new rash will appear. I am better today, though. Thanks, and hopefully the new rash will not come out today.

9. Re: itch.. itch..itch.. captiva water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 12, 2009