We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for honeymoon?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 56
Best resort for honeymoon?

My fiancé and I are considering going to sanibel, captiva for our honeymoon. We are looking for a resort to stay in that has a restaurant, amenities such as biking, and an oceanfront room is a must! I've been looking at hotels but hard to know what's the best. Any suggestions?

The Bakery
1. Re: Best resort for honeymoon?

Casa Ybel or South Seas Resort are both possible, but neither are true hotel style resorts with the level of service you expect from 4-5* properties. For that you would want to look at Naples and Marco Island.

I'd pick Casa Ybel myself. It is the most consistent and reliable - beachside pool, pool bar and food, tennis, nice (CONSISTENT) gulf facing units, good food at their historic Thistle Inn and easy access to a range of Sanibel restaurants and nightlife. But South Seas has the BEST pools (worst food) and a stunning location, beach to bay location, a 9 hole par-3 golf course, and a wide range watercraft rentals not permitted on Sanibel - like Jet skis and para-sailing. It is isolated, so getting down to all the restaurants on Sanibel will take about 20+ driving minutes minimum. Old Captiva House at Tween Waters Inn is an excellent dinner choice for a special meal and much closer to SSR. The restaurants in town are average to poor. Both resorts offer maid service, though frequency will vary.

Another, quieter option would be a 1 bedroom beachfront cottage at Island Inn, but they rent quickly and book early. They have a nice restaurant and are a small, laid back, property. Again, it's a NOT a place with room service or even maid service, but it has a ton of charm.

Now, if you want 24 hr room service, maid service twice a day, mints on the pillows, all the usual resort stuff - try one of the fine resorts on the beach in Naples or Marco Island.

Nashville, Tennessee
2. Re: Best resort for honeymoon?

The top priorities we want is some place quiet, out of the hustle and bustle, relaxing, and again, quiet. I was looking at south seas, but saw all the kids slides, etc, and do not want to hear crying, screaming and yelling kids during our honeymoon. We are going in may, so I'd be afraid of that. I'm not really worried about maid service, that doesn't bother me. But a place that has room service, ocean views, not bay or marina view, a restaurant on site,and complimentary breakfast would be great. I really like that south seas has a spa on site, but again, worried about the kids running around. I looked at island inn but wasn't sure much about it. I will look more into casa ybel as well.

Lehigh Acres...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Best resort for honeymoon?

Casa Ybel fits exactly what you are looking for. They have beautiful rooms that have screened in balconies that overlook the ocean and the property is large so it is easy to walk around and enjoy time away from everyone else. The Thistle Lodge is a restaurant located at Casa Ybel. The Thistle Lodge is known for their award-winning menu. Coconuts pool bar and Grill is also located at Casa Ybel near the pool area and they are the perfect place to grab a quick bite or a drink when you are just hanging around the Resort.

http://www.thistlelodge.com/

http://www.casaybelresort.com/

The Bakery
4. Re: Best resort for honeymoon?

Given your criteria, Casa Ybel and Island Inn would be the two best bets. Casa Ybel is condos style rooms and at Island Inn I'd opt for the private 1 bedroom beach cottage. It is the quieter of the two, but Casa Ybel has more activities.

South Seas caters to families and though May is quieter than most months, there would still be plenty of kids at the pools.

Casa Ybel is also family oriented, though far less so than SSR. Island Inn has high repeat clientele, is privately owned and has a mix of singles, families (not that many in May except Memorial Day weekend) and couples of all ages. It is the most sedate.

There is a day spa on Sanibel, and you can book Spa services at the spa at Tween Waters Inn. It's a nice scenic drive up there and you can lunch at the Canoe & Kayak or go for a private afternoon sail with one of the charter captains. New Moon, one of a few sail boats that does part day sails, does a romantic sunset sail you might want to look into.

http://www.newmoonsailing.com/

They also sail from Tweenies. You could book dinner at the Olde Captiva House for after the sunset sail. Make for quite a night.

Nashville, Tennessee
5. Re: Best resort for honeymoon?

Thanks!

6. Re: Best resort for honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 16, 2013