We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sanibel Island...
reviews: 7
Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club

Six months of the year, from October to March, the Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club, sanibelcaptivashellclub.com/SanCap_home.html , meets on the third Sunday of the month at 2:00 PM at the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum, http://www.shellmuseum.org/ . The meetings are fun and informative. There are door prizes, refreshments and speakers. Guests are welcome. There is a “Shell Show and Tell session when members (and guests) can show their favorite recent shell finds. This is a good place to take shells for help with their identification. The talks are usually very interesting. This Sunday, October 21, 2012, Dr. Jose Leal will talk about deep-sea mollusks and the new exhibit that will be opening at the museum in November. The Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club is the organization that sponsors the Sanibel Shell Festival. During the past several years MurexAlice and I have enjoyed attending some of the meetings. If you are on Sanibel or Captiva during the next six months on the third Sunday of the month, you might want to think about attending one of shell club’s meetings.

The Bakery
reviews: 26
1. Re: Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club

Ken, when is the annual shell show in 2013? First weekend in March?

Sanibel Island...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club

Tour, Good question. The 2013 Sanibel Shell Festival (Show) is March 7, 8 & 9, 2013, sanibelcaptivashellclub.com/SanCap_shellshow… The purpose of the original post is to let people know about the club and its meetings. For those of us who are passionate about our shell collecting, this is a place to talk with other shell collectors about our common interest. You can learn a lot and perhaps even arrange to collect shells on Sanibel with some of the "locals". There is no museum admission fee to attend the shell club meetings.

The Bakery
reviews: 26
3. Re: Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club

Many years ago, on my very first trip to Sanibel, I happened to be there for the Shell Festival with my Great Aunt. We fell in love with Sanibel - and the shells. Especially the Sailor's Valentines. On a later trip I met one of the women from Bonita Beach who did an award winner as she patiently sat collecting tiny shells on the beach by Blind Pass. Shellers are nice folks and happy to share information. I'm not as knowledgeable as you, but I do enjoy it.

I never have managed to get back the right week for the show. Done Ding Darling Week 3 times, but never the blasted show. It was GREAT. R Tucker Abbott was there signing his books while collecting for the museum. I always joke that 1/10 of a square millimeter on the front steps is mine.

I've taken all my friends to the museum and visit at least once each trip.

4. Re: Sanibel-Captiva Shell Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island