We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vero Beach, Florida
reviews: 40
Places to stay

My husband and I are excited on our upcoming trip to Sanibel.

We are staying at the Parrott Nest. It seems to be a relaxing and clean place to stay...I hope!

We are also wanting to do the Sanibel Thriller. It looks like a blast.

My question: Is there any type of shuttle service or taxi service on the island? We will be on our motorcyle and really do not want to travel from the Thriller ride wet and riding a motorcyle. Plus we want to have some "tasty beverages" at one of the pubs.

and we do not ride and drink.

Can't wait to get on Sanibel time

The Bakery
reviews: 26
1. Re: Places to stay

There is the highly reliable Sanibel Taxi. While getting back from the Thriller wet will be uncomfortable, it might still be a better choice.

As for going out and enjoying some drinks, mights I suggest bicycle rentals? Popular and the bike paths (paved paths that run like sidewalks for 24 miles around the island) will take you safely - and LEGALLY - to most anywhere. Doc Ford's would be a long haul from Parrots Nest,as would Timber's and Sanibel Grill but Sanibel Inn with it's live entertainment is near, as is the locally popular bar Lazy Flamingo (casual food available and family OK).

This map should help you see where things are relative to Parrot's Nest

http://www.cuisine-scene.com/pages/map.html

And don't miss eating lunch at Grandma Dot's at the Sanibel Marina.

iowa
reviews: 12
2. Re: Places to stay

FYI when we went on the Sanibel Thriller we did not get wet at all and we were in the back row.

Vero Beach, Florida
3. Re: Places to stay

Does the Sanibel Taxi pick you up from point a to point b. Or is more of a airport shuttle service?

The Thriller looks awesome. And a lot of fun.

What places are around the Parrot Nest? How far is the marina?

Are there any markets around to get groceries?

The Bakery
reviews: 26
4. Re: Places to stay

OK, note to self, sarcasm does not translate when responding. Sanibel Taxi is kind of notorious for being late, early or not at all for local pick-ups and drop offs. If they're doing a airport drop off or pick up, you're out of luck.

The Parrots Nest is on a quiet lane on the East end not far from a deli and small convenience store/deli, and a ice cream parlor. You'd be walking distance to the marina (about 2-3 city blocks) and Grandma Dot's Restaurant.

Also walking distance is the restaurant bar and live entertainment at Sanibel Inn (10-15 minute walk), bar and entertainment at Jacaranda, and the local hang out, Lazy Flamingo.

Places like Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill, and great place to hang out, is a solid 10 to 12 miles from where you're staying.

The two grocery stores - along with liquor stores and other shops, would be a short ride up Periwinkle Way. Jerry's is at the corner of Periwinkle and Casa Ybel Rd and Bailey's is at the corner or Tarpon Bay and Periwinkle. Between Causeway and Rd where you come on the island and Jerry's is a slew of restaurants along the road, from casual bars to white table cloth type places to hot dog take out shops. Bailey's and Jerry's both deliver and you can order online. They charge a delivery fee, but your unit can be stocked and waiting on your arrival saving you a lot of time and trouble. They both sell beer and wine as well.

If you click on the link in my first post to see the map, click on the PDF printer friendly version. This will open the map in Acrobat reader and allow you to enlarge it to see various streets and businesses. Parrot Nest is near Pinocchio's so you can orient yourself. Just west is the Sanibel Marina (Thriller) where Grandma Dot's is (it sits in the middle of the marina) - they close very early in the evening - usually around 7PM off season.

Now scroll up and a look at the gray area. This Periwinkle all the way to Tarpon Bay Rd. You can see all the restaurants names along there. Names in black letters are business, names of shopping areas where the restaurants are located, or city offices and such.

You can see both Jerry's and Bailey's clearly marked. Jerry's would be about 3-4 miles from the causeway - the map isn't to scale. Just drive the road and get a feel for the distances. Slow speeds and remember, pedestrian right of way. The whole island is only 14 miles long and the last 8 is beyond Tarpon Bay Rd, so it's only about 6-7 miles from the Lighthouse to Tarpon Bay Rd.

Restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk - Grandma Dot's, Lighthouse Cafe

within 15 minute - Starfish at Sanibel Inn (live entertainment - often well known jazz singers), Jacaranda (live entertainment), Lazy Flamingo - local bag and pub grub, and Maztaluna's - pizza and Italian (but not if you from the NYC area).

After that, you really need transport. Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill, an immensely popular local and visitor hang out, is about 9-11 miles away.

Unlike Ft Myers beach, there is no town trolley that runs up and down Periwinkle. You walk, bike, or drive. Sanibel is not a 'party' place. That more a Ft Myers Beach thing, and even a lot of those places have closed as they get ready to do a city facelift and upgrade to some 'generic' upscale resort thing - much to the disgust of many long time visitors, but the business folks are happy.

The Sanibel Thriller gets high marks from those who have taken the cruise. I saw the boat during restoration and loved the classic look of it. Reminded me of the one used in the closing scenes of Some Like It Hot.

Vero Beach, Florida
5. Re: Places to stay

Thank you so much Tourmaline! You have given us a wealth of information.

Sarcasm is a great..But being we have not been to Sanibel, I'm sure we will understand that walking will get us further than the taxi service.

We are happy on the idea that Sanibel is not fast paced. The both of us need a break and relaxed, casual is our ideal vacation.

Everything sounds close by. The marina is not that far from the Parrot Nest. We could walk to it. So it seems like a 15 minute walk? Maybe 20? That will work.

The shops seem to be on Periwinkle. That we will ride to.

Thanks again. Your awesome on the information.

6. Re: Places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 08, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island