Looks like even a March reopening may not happen:
Thank-you Island Kitty. South Seas haven't met any date yet, so I'm not surprised, but for the local business owners, I am disappointed.
This information came from a person that was involved with the telephone conference.
A 2.75 hour conference call was held Wednesday, Nov. 14 with owners. Chris van der Baars, General Manager of South Seas Island Resort, South Seas and Meristar hosted the call. A CD and a web site is to be available of the whole teleconference. Hans has agreed to post the location of the web site once he gets the name. The following information was provided and questions answered:
Meristar committed to get resort reopened
Meristar gave 3 options to do this: 1) Sell asset (Strange commitment!), 2) Partner with somebody, 3) Raise more capital
-Hospitality Renovations, general contractor for renovation of lease units, decided to pull out of project. Benchmark Construction has been hired to replace them. Benchmark Construction needs to reevaluate work done throughout resort, renegotiate contracts with all subcontractors, etc... A completion schedule should be out in a few weeks. Benchmark has been hired to finish interior reconstruction, which in some cases is 95% complete.
The “new “ official soft opening is now March 17. This date was determined on November 15th at 4:00 PM.
Items opening on March 17th:
- Hotel rooms
- All condo associations & time shares, except Lands End & Sanddrift
- Captain Al's renamed Boathouse
- King's Crown
- Ship Store
- Porter House
- Sunset Beach
- Tennis Center
- South End Ice Cream, "Scoops"
- Golf course
- Room service
On April 15th the following will be available:
- Yacht Harbor
- Fitness center
- Golf course
On May 1:
- Bayside Marina
On June 1st:
- Lands End
- Mariner Hall rebuild
On June 15th:
- Mariner Hall
- Main pool area
Because of repairs to water, sewage and electric; none of the timeshare properties will be available for occupancy until after March 17th Specifically named were: PBCI, PBCII, Plantation House, Cottages, Seabreeze.
Although whole owners can use their properties when they can be occupied in Dec - March there may be some electric and water disruptions in January - February on the north end of the resort due to construction.
OTHER ANNOUNCED CHANGES:
- New name of resort "South Seas Island Resort"
From Joe Pontiff, Association Manager:
- All condo associations except Lands End and Sanddrift are now in association control
- Tennis and Marina Villas in lease program 95% done
- Beach Villas 50% done
- furniture for all lease units is in a local warehouse ready to be delivered
- Some owners outside of lease program are in there units now.
From John Johnson - Golf course, Main Road, Landscaping
- 95% of course destroyed by Charlie
- Course reopens March 17th
- 6 holes done now
- Lots of soil and sand trucked in the give course elevation
- Holes 6 and 7 Practice area
- Hole 8 park area +/- future mini golf
- Over 10,000 cubic yards of sand has been brought in for the golf course.
- The elevation variation is more interesting. (range from 8 to 17 feet) Waterfalls are being installed and inserting rocks around lakes .
- Sod will start being installed in December.
- Golf course cost $5.5 million.
- The mini-golf course is “off the radar screen”, but there was a lot of support for it in the question and answer session.
- Permits for the main road landscaping have been submitted. Approval will take 3-4 months. Construction this summer.
- Main Road Repair will not start for 3 months due to state permitting process.
- Plantation Rd.: Permits for culvert repair may take 3 months. Therefore, road will be torn up in March during reopening??
- Main roadway will be increased in width and shifted off center to allow for 6 foot bike path along one side.
- Cap Al’s will be renamed Boat House. Breakfast, Lunch and seafood orientated dinner
- Kings Crown will be named Le Carevelle (sp?) with old world meeting new world and an expanded cocktail and entertainment facilities
- Sunset Beach will be expanded
- Porter House will be left alone
- Chadwicks will be left alone for now, but may undergo some changes in the future
- Mama Rosa will move into CWs. A Starbucks will move into what was Mama Rosa
- Uncle Bob’s will be replaced a new ice cream parlor named Scoops, located in Chadwick's Plaza
- CW's is going upscale to have more gourmet food and will be renamed to Island Gourmand. It will be closed in 4-6 weeks and reopen on April 16
- Starbucks at old Mama Rosa's location. Note, resort considered having The Bean open in resort, but decided Starbucks as having a greater draw to the resort.
- Wine and cheese store will be near Chadwicks.
- A section called Smoke and Vino will be added to Chadwicks which will have cognac, liquor, cigars, cheeses and chocolate
- Mariner hall will be replaced by a $4.2 million, 2-story building with patio and rooftop dining. Views of Gulf, Bay and new pool
- Sandbar--Food and drink service expanded.
- A wetlands plant test area is being planted near the beach homes. If the results are promising it will be expanded to other damaged areas.
- Spa: No Spa until later date.
- Mitch Moore stated that real estate values have held up and have increased in some units.
- $26 million of transactions through Oct. 26th.
- The beach renourishment was completed yesterday and the beach is at what it was 25 years ago ....Beach is HUGE
- Dropoffs created by Wilma were regraded by renourishment contractor before they left area.
- Security has been increased since resort became a "free Home Depot" during construction. Extra uniformed officers hired to deter theft as owners refurbish their condos.
Sue - Thank-you for the info. All the delays and other issues had me wondering if the property management company, Meristar, was in financial difficulties. It would seem by their 3 'options', money is, indeed, a big issue. I feel badly for the owners stuck in the middle of this. And to think they had an original re-open date of Christmas 2004!