We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

Hi--what is the cheapest way to get from the airport at Ft. Myers to Sanibel?

South Florida...
reviews: 45
1. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

Probably a cheap rental car. A taxi will be pricey.

Naples, Fl
reviews: 2
2. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

The cheapest way would be to Bum a ride off of someone, strike up a conversation with anyone on the plane, anyone at the baggage carousel, or share a taxi with someone who going to the same place. (You should offer to pay the toll over the bridge.) This may sound devious but you can stand all alone and act like your ride left you hanging. Believe it or not most people are very compassionate and would be more than willing to drive you if you just ask. Perhaps even a TA member?

Maine
reviews: 2
3. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

A would suggest a cheap rental as to really enjoy all aspects of the island you will most likely want a car anyway...but then I also would not come close to having the courage to ride with a total stranger...but that is just me:-) many on here suggest sensible car rental- put into search box and you will find all kinds of threads on it.

Sanibel Island...
reviews: 28
4. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

I usually find decent deals on Orbitz. Definitely get a car for the most flexibility.

Hell, Michigan
reviews: 9
5. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

Hmmm - suggesting someone accept a ride with a total stranger in this day and age is an interesting proposition. I would strongly encourage you to NOT do that as it is obviously dangerous.

Here is a list of shuttle services that operate out of RSW.

http://www.flylcpa.com/othertrans/

Those that do run to Sanibel list the prices at $60-70 one way. It is most likely more economical to rent a car. Or check out Sensible Car Rental.

Sanibel, FL
reviews: 11
6. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

Unless you are meeting people with transportion - you really need to have a car on Sanibel.

reviews: 8
7. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

Daughter was on sanibel weekend before last researching wedding venues...paid an arm & a leg to rent a car for two days. Rates have gone through the roof!! Now that gas prices have gone down, will the taxi rates reduce as well?? Probably not. don't understand what is going on with rental rates but if you need to get around the island while there...probably Sensible Car Rental or the Budget Rental off-site lot if it's still available.

Hell, Michigan
reviews: 9
8. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

HI Ralph - I remember the fiasco you had last year with the rental car... Yikes. I was able to rent an economy car for 2.5 weeks in March for around $400 thru Hertz for our trip this spring.

Utica, Michigan
9. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

DO NOT USE SENSIBLE CAR RENTAL! Try the airport rental car companies. It's fast & easy.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
10. Re: Cheapest way to get from Ft. Myers airport to Sanibel?

And...don't forget that you can "name your own price" by placing a bid on Priceline.com

If you haven't used Priceline before...they have a list of car rental fees that are about the same as all other rental agencies. OR, (option two)you can take a look at the "average" for the size car you want and place a bid for approximately 65% of that price. They will notify you if your bid has been accepted. I have never been turned down.

Depending upon when you are going...might be able to get an economy / subcompact model for about $100 a week. Taxes and "fees" are added on, though.