We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanibel or Captiva with a 2-year old?

Which Sanibel Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 3
Sanibel or Captiva with a 2-year old?

Hello all.

My wife, myself and my 2-year old daughter are planning a visit at the end of July. We have never been to the area and are having trouble deciding Sanibel or Captiva and where to stay. We would like to relax, enjoy the beach and be able to try different restaurants. A pool would be an added touch.

Can anyone steer us in the right direction?

Definitely don't want to stay where construction is going on.

Thank you,

G Fletcher

Noank, CT

Naples, Fl
reviews: 2
1. Re: Sanibel or Captiva with a 2-year old?

There is essentially little difference between the two, there was a pass or cut between the two islands, it has since filled in. Captiva is further north and farther away from the only bridge over there.

nowhere
reviews: 10
2. Re: Sanibel or Captiva with a 2-year old?

I've spent a lot of time on the two islands. captiva was harder hit by Charley and is mostly private homes and South Seas Plantation, which remains closed fro repairs. Tween Waters was open when I was down in march. Though the beach is across a street, its a quiet street this time of year with pedestrian walkways that are safe. Very quiet and I take one of the updated cottages. They have excellent restaurants and a pool and my favorite, a view of Pine Island Sound with all the boats. It sits on the very narrowest part of captiva and you can stand in one spot and see both the gulf and the sound by simply turing your head. There was construction down the way - houses are always under construction on Captiva. There are other restaurants on captica that I really like as well.

On Sanibel, you can check out any of the smaller inns, like Sanibel Seaside Inn, Sanibel Inn, Song of the Sea, etc. All are very nice. Less likely to have construction in the area. Ask to be sure as there are repairs still going on all over, though less on Sanibel's east end.

For restaurants try - in no particular order, Sanibel: Island Cow, Sanibel Lighthouse (breakfast), Sanibel Cafe (breakfast and lunch), McT's (seafood), Timbers (seafood), Ellington's (Italian), Cheeburger Cheeburger (you guessed it, burgers), Mad Hatter (fine dining continental - may be closed seasonal), Grandma Dot's (great grilled fish) Captiva: Mucky Duck (stick with lunch and try the fried grouper sandwich), Bubble Room (again try for lunch and try the Moons Over Miami and a french dip sandwich) Avoid: Morgan's Forest

Hope this helps

Sanibel Island...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Sanibel or Captiva with a 2-year old?

If you are looking for more restaraunt options and more activities, than you would want to try Sanibel. There are over 12 miles of bike paths and so many restaurants to choose from. One nice property is Tarpon Beach Club. Small property with 36 units and located within bike riding distance to Bailey's Grocery Store, the movie Theatre and other dining. try Royal Shell, they have many units at Tarpon Beach Club.

USA
reviews: 3
4. Re: Sanibel or Captiva with a 2-year old?

Thanks for all of your recommendations. We decided on the Song of the Sea. Will post our comments once we return. Thanks again for the replies.

Gary Fletcher

Get answers to your questions about Sanibel Island